drip rail molding removal

70Tom

Reaction score
So, vinyl top has been removed. Got about half the glue removed off the roof. Sort of slow going but not too bad. Thought it would be worse. So, true to form, my top is actually not painted. It's gray primer over the rust color primer with the body color paint jammed around the doors, windshield and rear window channel and A and C-pillars painted.

My question is: how do you remove the drip rail moldings from a 70 SF? I'm used to GM drip rails moldings which are easily removed with an old-style bottle opener. Doesn't look like that'll work with these, so I'm looking for tips.

Thanks

My 69 Polara (a sedan) had them riveted in the door opening, my 69 Polara (a 4dr hardtop) had them screwed in within the door opening. I can't say this is true with the 2dr hardtops.

Trim-rivets.jpg

Alan

If they are the type that pop on, they come off real easy with no tools.

To remove these I just start at one end and put all 8 fingers on top and hang on the trim with most of your weight, use your thumbs to pull the trim from the bottom. If you see the profile on these you'll see why.

Alan

Ok learned something new this morning . the fusey's are different than the slabies. for yours Tom look at Allen's picture. Looks like the weatherstrip has to come out to remove the channel to get to the rivets on the drip rail. on the slabs ides here's a picture showing how you just pry up on the bottom to remove it. I usually a Paint stick to protect where I'm prying.
20161215_080315.jpg

Here's a picture of my 71. The weatherstrip channel must be hiding the fasteners holding the drip rail on.
20161215_080024.jpg

I'm a visual type of guy. That would help me,
If you look at Chris' picture you can see the bottom edge turns down a little, this acts as a shoehorn when installing them and I had good luck removing the trim by just getting my thumb on it and pulling. Yes a bottle opener works as well but risk marking up the trim.

Alan

I guess the next question is, how should I remove the rivets without damaging the trim? I guess drilling it out will be my best option. It's definitely getting screws when I put it back in.

Yes, drill them out. First use a punch to push out the stem if it's inside the rivet. Then since Alan's picture looks like 3/16th rivets use a 3/16ths drill bit and drill them out. If you want to rivet them back in I can fix you up with a rivet gun. Screws would probably work too though.

Yes, drill them out. First use a punch to push out the stem if it's inside the rivet. Then since Alan's picture looks like 3/16th rivets use a 3/16ths drill bit and drill them out. If you want to rivet them back in I can fix you up with a rivet gun. Screws would probably work too though.

Thanks Chris. I have a basic rivet gun. I take it this may use a special gun? Still need to rivet in my VIN tag on my new dash pad. At $30 for the correct rivets, I better get it right. Haha.

Any good quality rivet gun will work. I usually use an air rivet gun because I am lazy. Plus it's a lot easier on the hand.

Back