Driveshaft question

IMG_8419.JPG
IMG_8418.JPG
I do think the welds are sloppy. As for balance I've seen shops build driveshafts before & not need weight. Maybe that's why the welds look sloppy. He built them up while balancing. I called him back & he ask me to try it. Said if I won't happy he would make it right. He seemed like a genuine cool guy in all my dealings. He rebuilds fluid pumps, Hydraulic cylinders ,pressure valves, large fluid pressure hose & driveshafts. It's the real deal. His shop was packed with trucks & machinery. I think he got in a hurry. Only reason I used him is my neighbor has used him & told me about him. As for the u joints. Yea it's a 440, but Stock motor home engine except headers. I think NAPA u joints will be fine. I stuck the drive shaft back in before replacing that front joint at the request of the shop. I'm going to drive the truck around a bit & see how the shaft does. If all is ok I'll pull it back out & replace the joint. I don't know if I ever posted a pic of the engine. It looks right at home. It's a little dirty. Work in progress. It does have a 3.91 sure grip. It's a short bed too so it ought to be a pretty fun truck to play with. I need a shop truck. My other truck I'd like to keep clean & use for hauling the race car.

Enough of this pick up truck nonsense how's the racecar coming
LOL i put it on the back burner so I could get the truck up & going. FURYIOUS is next. I promise. I'm sending the Coronet wagon to Gary to at least get started on it. Two of the tracks close to me have a street class. Street tires & exhaust. So I can play in that class untill Furyious is ready. I just ordered glass bumpers front & rear for it.

LOL i put it on the back burner so I could get the truck up & going. FURYIOUS is next. I promise. I'm sending the Coronet wagon to Gary to at least get started on it. Two of the tracks close to me have a street class. Street tires & exhaust. So I can play in that class untill Furyious is ready. I just ordered glass bumpers front & rear for it.
My Barracuda has been placed on hold indefinitely dammit. I have to get this house finished and get it sold putting PA in my mirror, I cannot afford to own a truck and live in PA so it has become a priority. I will have my Charger running sometime this summer, ugly but running thanks to the push of my son.

My Barracuda has been placed on hold indefinitely dammit. I have to get this house finished and get it sold putting PA in my mirror, I cannot afford to own a truck and live in PA so it has become a priority. I will have my Charger running sometime this summer, ugly but running thanks to the push of my son.
Where are you moving too ?

Anywhere but PA, I would love to go to South Carolina but I'm not sure that is practical. Most likely it will be Ohio just a ways over the line most of my work is that direction and it still allows fairly close proximity to family.
I have to shake my head when Trump comes to a place like the Farm show complex in Harrisburg PA as part of his 100 days in office. I hope and would love to see him lure back manufacturing but then idiot policies put in place by our previous govenor are taxing and feeing the transportation industry to death, so sure come to PA and build or refurbish a manufacturing plant and then your inventory can sit a no trucks can haul you product competitively and good luck having the volume and playing ball with the railroads for let's say only 40 truck loads a month.
Fuel tax is up to 75.7 cents per gallon here, neighboring WV and OH are 32 and 28 respectively.
The difference in fuel tax over the course of a year will pay approx 85-90% of my health insurance bill for the year.
I've owned this house for 24 years next month an did not intend to leave but some big nails are getting pounded into the coffin so it's time to go. I have a few years to finish the addition and get my kid out of high school without the move. I don't see them getting these issues back in line with the rest of the country or the rest of the country doubling their tax rates (more likely) in the next couple of years.
Sorry for the excessive hijack Bob but your good on the driveshaft anyway.

[QUOTE="C Body Bob, I have 2 1/2 inches of spline engagement & another 1 1/2 of non splined engagement[/QUOTE]

To short. 1 1/2" of non engagement will load the bushing in the trans output housing and will cause premature wear and vibration.
Rule of thumb to determine drive shaft length is to insert the slip yoke into the output housing all the way, (do not force). Then measure center to center from the slip yoke to the diff yoke and subtract 1/2" to 3/4". Do this with the vehicle at ride height.

Last edited:
IMG_9029.JPG
I pushed it all the way till it was touching the dust boot. Then measured center yoke to yoke. And the shop made it a half inch too short. The 727 front slip yokes are not splined all the way down. Just the 904 is. I should have had 3 inches of spline engagement not 2 1/2. The aftermarket slip yoke will give me 5 inches of splines. I'm hoping that will do it.

Back