Edelbrock 1411 insulated spacer

Timing at idle is 11* and at 3500 it is 36*

Also should I start looking at blocking off the heat riser?
Yes. Remove the intake and get a new intake manifold gasket. Block off the heat crossover passage.
You have a carb with electric choke so you dont need the crossover.
Use heat sheathing on the fuel line and use carb spacer.
Speaking from experience 66 383, engibe at operating temp 205F ,base of carb is at 109!!
No more hard starts or long cranks sine no more perculation.

Is the proper way to block off the heat risers just to use the intake gaskets without the holes? Do I need the valley pan as well? Is there anything I need to put down the heat riser ports? --sorry still trying to learn

The valley pan IS the intake gasket.
Felpro has onevwith the block offs.
On big blocks it is an hour worth of work since there is no coolant running through thr intake.

I see the kit it comes with the valley pan and 2 gaskets for either side. One above and below the valley pan. Although it seems the 2 gaskets per side started in 1969 and before this the was only one gasket per side?

But please instruct me the correct way, i am open to all direction.

Headed to the parts store in an HR to get the parts i need for today. Does the valley pan get any RTV or gasket sealant on any of the areas? If so what is a good recommendation for such a product?

Got the valley pan back in place, along with he intake. Installed a 1" phenolic spacer. Adjusted the carb. Reinstalled the radiator with a new 180* thermostat. Went for a 25min ride. Carb was reading 125* with laser thermometer. Intake 165*. Block 205*. Radiator 195*. Waiting now to go back out and check if it will restart after a 30 min heat soak.

Checked the temp on carb after a 30 min soak = 138*. It took 4 starting cycles of about 10-15 seconds before it would fire up. Then after shutting it off I tried restarting it. Some times it would fire right back up sometimes it would not. Again it would take a few cycles before it would start. So I am not sure whats going on...

When it would take a few cycles to start I did notice it would fire up as I let go of the key. It did this several times so not sure if its related....

I also checked my fuel pressure and it looks like i have 9-10psi from the mechanical pump. Edelbrock site list that my carb should have 6psi. Should I add a regulator? Could this be part of the issue also? To much pressure?

When it would take a few cycles to start I did notice it would fire up as I let go of the key. It did this several times so not sure if its related....

Possibly just the luck of your timing in letting go of the key?

CBODY67

Possibly just the luck of your timing in letting go of the key?

CBODY67
I would say it was luck except for the fact it was repeatable several times.

I wonder if the starter is just on the edge of not spinning it over fast enough at times and other times just fast enough?

Ive got a 73 440 rebuilt mild cam otherwise mostly a stock rebuild with a edelbrock performer manifold...thinking about buying the 1411 carb vs the 1406 ...any advice on performance aspects of either?

Back