Electronic ignition for 67 Newport

jcordasco1952

Reaction score
Thinking about putting an electronic ignition conversion in my 67 Newport 383. I’m looking at the Per-tronics kit from Summit Racing. Thoughts?
They suggested a new coil also.

IMG_9614.png

I've never understood why there are some electronic ignition kits that totally mount inside the existing distributor (replace mechanical points) and then there are replacement distributors that require an external gizmo box (does the box replace the car's existing alternator regulator?)

I recommend the petronixs set up if yours is a points car. The Mopar kits are "authorized" kits and the ECU's are made overseas and have a really high fail rate now since that transistor on top is for show only the one in use is inside the potting and has no place for the heat to go. Just My opinion. BTW that box basically just amplifies the signal from the distributor and tells the coil when to fire.

Last edited:
Thinking about putting an electronic ignition conversion in my 67 Newport 383. I’m looking at the Per-tronics kit from Summit Racing. Thoughts?
They suggested a new coil also.

View attachment 616486
I like the Pertronix myself. IMHO, that's a better choice than the latest Mopar Performance stuff. The MP stuff was great, but now it's all offshore built and doesn't have the reliability it once did.

Nice looking Newport! I have the Pertronix in my 60 Dart. Been there for 25 years with no issues.
If you go with the Mopar kit the only thing to be forewarned on is to make sure you have a good ground on the orange box. Too many people (me included) mount the box to the firewall and when they get 10 miles from home, the engine shuts down when the orange box got hot and opened the transistor all because of the lack of a good case ground. Now I always verify less than 1 ohm between the case and battery neg.

When the Chrysler kits first came out, Chrysler was still installing those systems on production cars. Which meant that the complete kit was "OEM-level" in all respects. As they are now licensed to Proform, not the case any more. Certainly, anything licensed is supposed to be built to OEM blueprints, but it appears the electronics' durability is not the same as the original kits had. Might be better off to buy a reman distributor, put in the quicker advance springs, and buy the harnesses and such from Mopar Perf, plus a better control box, which somewhat replicates what Ehrenberg does?

Can't forget Ehrenberg and his eBay store for these things! Plus an electronic voltage regulator (inside of an OEM-looking case), too. @FURYGT?

The "points replacement" upgrade items came years later as electronic circuitry advanced with smaller components. Kits like the one referenced from Summit are "everywhere", might even be the same exact item under a plethora of different names and prices!! I might trust the Pertronix brand a bit farther than some of the others, fwiw.

When the original MP kits were out, THEY were the one upgrade which the bulk of Mopar enthusiasts embraced and used. Only tell tale item was two wires going to the distributor, than just one for the points system. An easy thing to hide, too.

Just some thoughts and observations,

CBODY67

Pertronix gets my vote as well. A simple replacement for the points and condenser. The Mopar ignition kit has a lot of issues with the control boxes. Many right out of the box.

Pertronix gets my vote as well. A simple replacement for the points and condenser. The Mopar ignition kit has a lot of issues with the control boxes. Many right out of the box.
Been using them for over 20 years never a problem. For regular driver the Pertronix I is all you need.
READ the directions and you will be up and back on the road in less than 1 hour.

Other than changing them out once in a while I like points. Got an extra set plus a ballast resistor , condenser, screw driver and coil and a matchbook cover in my car so easy fix if the ignition goes out. Halifaxhops has all that stuff. Be best to have an extra in the glove box what ever type you get. Nice car!

I recommend spending a bit more and getting the Pertronix Ignitor-2 instead of the original Ignitor. It has current limiting so you can remove the ballast resistor, and shutdown protection in case you leave the key ON without the engine running for an extended period.

I recommend spending a bit more and getting the Pertronix Ignitor-2 instead of the original Ignitor. It has current limiting so you can remove the ballast resistor, and shutdown protection in case you leave the key ON without the engine running for an extended period.
Is that also multi-spark or is that the III?

Agree 100% if you want to keep the stock Distributor housing. The Proform/Mopar units aren't something I would personally throw money at, they aren't what the used to be, not even close. Beyond that, the Flamethrower is an awesome unit, very reliable and you can easily play with timing limits and Curves as well as RPM limit. Be sure if you're deleting the ballast that you have a low ohm coil that can take the full 12 volts all the time. Doing this will ensure YEARS of zero maintenence. My Son's Ramcharger has been completely reliable since day one, he drives it back and forth across Montana every month, thrashes it in all weather and conditions from -50 to 100 plus degrees. I'm a fan boy.

I've never understood why there are some electronic ignition kits that totally mount inside the existing distributor (replace mechanical points) and then there are replacement distributors that require an external gizmo box (does the box replace the car's existing alternator regulator?)
The all inside the old distributor sort are the least expensive at starting price. The sort which require the external control box and distributor follow the actual old Hall Effect magnetic trigger design for the capacitive discharge spark from the newfangled box. Even this approach is now 50 yrs old. Higher performance now can be had from these while adhering to the Old Mopar Ascetique IFF one gets a well made or RE-made one. From there, one can purchase distributors and exotic controllers capable of all sorts of tremendous voltages, multiple sparks et cetera. Shop for the state of the engine.

When I put the MP kit on my '67 Newport, I also bought a base-level MSD control box, the old MSD 5C. The "5" was their entry level multi-spark control box. The "C" meant it had the Chrysler-specific plug on it. I found an electrically-good mounting location behind the lh frt fender extension. Spliced-in wiring that ran with the OEM harness to the rear of the fender, past the voltage regulator, across the cowl, then down toward the distributor.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

When I put the MP kit on my '67 Newport, I also bought a base-level MSD control box, the old MSD 5C. The "5" was their entry level multi-spark control box. The "C" meant it had the Chrysler-specific plug on it. I found an electrically-good mounting location behind the lh frt fender extension. Spliced-in wiring that ran with the OEM harness to the rear of the fender, past the voltage regulator, across the cowl, then down toward the distributor.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Multispark is good for our street cars. Multiple sparks at lower rpm (where we spend most of our time at) I didn't know MSD had a Mopar specific box. It sounds like a good idea.

Back