Electronic Ignition Installation successful

I have just taken the engine out of my 61 Newport (361 Big Block)
It has electronic ignition (orange box) installed by the previous owner .
I noticed there is a condenser on the outside of the dizzy connected to the battery + on the alternator .
From a previous electronic install on my Slant 6 Valiant i thought this wasn't needed ?
Also i ran resistor spark plugs on that install , do i need these with the Mopar Electronic ignition .
The 361 is currently running NGK BP5S .
I have a 62 Newport and want to change to electronic ignition. Can you tell me what brand yours is, and any tricks I need to know? I did one once on a 65 T Bird. Thanks, Fred

I have a 62 Newport and want to change to electronic ignition. Can you tell me what brand yours is, and any tricks I need to know? I did one once on a 65 T Bird. Thanks, Fred
Honestly after much experience with both factory style electronic ignition and Pertronix, not II or III but the original, I’ll choose Pertronix.

There are a ton of fake ecu's out there two easy wats to tell at a glance are the height of the transistor, usally the fake ones are around 3/8" high and a real one 5/16 or so. Another way to tell at a glance is if there is printing on the transistor and also a insulating pad under it. Just two ways to tell. New ones are a real crap shoot now.

Real
View attachment 444198
View attachment 444199
View attachment 444200

Fake
View attachment 444201View attachment 444202View attachment 444203View attachment 444204

Hope it helps.
Have a question since you have tore these apart ? Just purchased one from a friend and got damaged by USPS in shipment not sure if it will hurt it or not maybe you could tell by the pictures if everything should be okay or not ? Thanks for any help on this would be greatly appreciated

20230415_123558.jpg

20230415_123620.jpg

Have a question since you have tore these apart ? Just purchased one from a friend and got damaged by USPS in shipment not sure if it will hurt it or not maybe you could tell by the pictures if everything should be okay or not ? Thanks for any help on this would be greatly appreciated

View attachment 591588

View attachment 591589
You should be ok.
The case of that power transistor has an air gap inside it between what you see and the silicon.

Back