Emblem help needed on '67 Newport

OneEyed

Reaction score
So I finally found the three front emblems for the front end of my car on ebay, and quickly snatched them up for $30. Now I have them and I don't see how they can fit against the grill unless there is some sort of spacer to fill in between the emblem and the grill itself. Or are they the wrong year? I did a search and saw another auction for a 68 emblem that looks like what I have.

What would help me, does anyone have a 67 or 68 that they can take a close look at for me? Is there any difference there for base verses custom?

Here is a link to the auction I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231306467276?item=231306467276&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

If you look at the backside pics, you'll see that the stems are circled, this circle sticks out a little, causing the emblem to not sit flush against the grill. I would guess that some sort of spacer or gasket thingy should sit between the two??

I've been looking for these emblems for over a year!! finally found some and now disappointed...

You were sent the correct emblems.
the three medallions sit flush to the grill and the backing plate is mounted to the back of the grill.

33vixlk.jpg

$_57.JPG

Looks like several of your mounting studs came up short...
Without the studs you're going to have to come up with something creative such as 3M emblem adhesive.

I understand what you are saying, However, I am saying that the emblems do not sit flush on my grill. I see that the rusty plate goes behind the grill and the emblem stems poke through to it, but the emblems themselves do not sit flush against the grill...the pics show that the stems have a circle around them that is raised and this is what is keeping them from sitting flush.

Thanks for the picture though. My plan originally was to JB Weld some new stems on, or cut them off and epoxy them in place...im not too worried about retaining its value..just want it too look right.

I'm having a tough time visualizing what you are saying. A pic of one of the emblems on the grill would help. I wouldn't use JB weld. I'd get the best placement possible and then have a new backing plate machined and have it all welded together.

I guess I can't really explain it anymore so hopefully the pics help.

2014082695174346.jpg2014082695174330.jpg2014082695174425.jpg

2014082695174346.jpg

2014082695174330.jpg

2014082695174425.jpg

Hard to tell from the pictures, but is that a 2 piece grille that maybe just needs to be adjusted?

It is a two piece grill. If you look at the pics in the link and that I posted of the backside of the emblems. There is a raised circular area that doesn't allow the emblem to sit flush against the grill. The emblems do not fit. They are either from a different model/year or some spacer is missing.

I uploaded the pics to my profile so they would be larger to see. In one pic you can see my pressing the emblem to the grill,but there is a gap between. In the next you see the holes for the emblems and two other holes that aren't completely covered up when I try holding the emblems in place. and the final photo shows the backside with the circular ridge that is larger diameter than the holes in the grill that prevent it from sitting flush.

Where your two pieces meet looks pretty bad. Almost like they overlap.
Mine button up so tight and flush it looks one piece.
I think you need a little ball peen hammer.

I understand what you're saying, but the emblems still would not fit tight against the grill even if the nose of my grill was perfectly tight/level. The emblems don't match up to the grill, that is what I'm trying to get across. One of these parts is not correct for the car or I'm missing another piece. The raised circular area around the emblem stem is too large to fit into the holes on the grill preventing it from sitting flush.

Make a rubber or similar material "gasket" for behind the emblem. No one will ever see it.

Or... enlarge the holes.

Or... bolt it together and let the emblem sit a little "proud" of the grille. It's possible that is the way it is supposed to mount.

I'd do the gasket myself. Most easily reversible if you figure it out later.

Step drill sounds like best idea yet. I'm still curious as to why its like that. I wish I could see some more pics close up. Does anyone else have a '67 Newport?

Also, Commando, could you take another pic from above looking down to be able see your one piece grill. Mine bolts up right behind the emblem area. It looks like I'd (probably) have to unbolt it just to make room to get my hand in to be able to attach the emblems at the backside. How accessible is the back of your emblems? Any chance you could remove one of them and take of pic of the backside of that?

I'm probably asking a lot and it's seem likely that the stems break pretty easily since the ones I bought are. But any help would be great, Thanks!

Hi mate. I have a 67 Town and County (unfortunately it's in storage as I write this) and I know my 3 can be moved around a little and I know I can get a finger nail between the back and the grill. I've never had it apart so can't comment on the fit but will try to take a closer look in the weekend if I can and get some more pictures.....

Grill (2).jpg

Grill.jpg

Any chance you could remove one of them and take of pic of the backside of that?
Believe me, I already tried and tried and tried to do that for you.
Even with my most compact camera, I couldn't find enough room on the backside to get off any shots that would have helped.
Plus there is no room for me to get a hand down there to remove one for you unless I remove the entire grill to which, as much as I'd love to help a brother out, I am not able to do at this time.

Mine seems to be the same as Tallhair's pic. I never knew the T&C had the same grill....I now remember that the previous owner replaced the grill on my car after a ball hitch was backed into it. So possibly I have either emblems or a grill from a T&C or some sort of mix up?

Tallhair, what is that grill off of?

Also, on mine and Tallhairs, there are two holes the don't really look like they line up with any of the emblems...any idea what those are for? Are they just to hold the backing plate in place?

NZPacer, is that a one piece grill??

Hi OneEyed..
No, it's a two piece grill and pretty sure the 67 Newport and 67 Town and Country share the same front end

Back