Engine could be on the way out

Isn't it possible that the oil pressure is better now after the work you did. If you have no idea what the pressure was before maybe it is better now. I would change the oil and filter and see what happens. A motor can run a long time on the pressure you have.
I think it is better from before cause I had no baseline of it from before! So I’m just gonna change the oil and filter and get it ready to button up for the winter!!

! I did the cam bearings and they went in right!

What was your cam to bearing clearance at since you did this yourself? Did you verify they were installed correcting correctly with the main oil passages?

25lbs at idle and 40lbs driving sounds fine to me. You must be running a standard oil pump. Which isn't bad thing. You engine probably just has more bearing clearance than others therefore reducing your oil pressure. An oil change will NOT increase your oil pressure if you use the same weight oil.

As long as you have 40lbs of pressure when driving and it doesn't drop, I wouldn't worry about it. If you drove it 300 miles after you did your break-in if there was something wrong you already did damage to it. Best thing to do is to just enjoy it.

You can cut open the oil filter and see if you find excessive amounts of bearing material inside the pockets of the filter. Inspecting the oil alone is not good enough to see if you have damaged your engine. Cut open your filter and check that.

As others have stated you can change out your spring to increase your pressure.

Hope this helps.

Isn't it possible that the oil pressure is better now after the work you did. If you have no idea what the pressure was before maybe it is better now. I would change the oil and filter and see what happens. A motor can run a long time on the pressure you have.

If he did the work himself and increased the bearing to cam clearance he would effectively reduce the oil pressure. Changing the oil and filter will not do anything to increase pressure if he uses the same oil. Only an increase in the weight of the oil would effectively increase the pressure in terms of an oil change.

Changing or shimming the pressure relief spring will only raise oil pressure IF the relief valve is currently relieving pressure at too low a setting. I was unable to find the designed relief pressure. think of this like a compressor trying to supply a heavy demand. If the compressor is not able to keep up, changing the setting of the safety valve will not increase the operating pressure. The pressure may be increased by reducing the load (i.e. reducing bearing clearances) or increasing the compressor size (i.e. high volume oil pump). Lindsay

Back