Factory shifter for 1965 non console 4-speed cars

Dick Landy

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there who can tell me what shifters in 1965 non console 4-speed cars came with from the factory. I couldn't find anything verified on the internet, but I strongly suspect that the shifter mounted on the following cars is right for the '65 models:

Fury III
44806467ji.jpg

Fury III
44806468nd.jpg

Belvedere
44806471kv.jpg

Fury III cv.
44806472yx.jpg

https://www.hemmings.com/listing/1965-plymouth-belvedere-1-882475#&gid=1&pid=1

1965 Plymouth Fury III Convertible | F111 | Las Vegas 2021 | Mecum Auctions

1965 Plymouth Fury

For Sale: 1965 Plymouth Fury III in Cadillac, Michigan

I believe that is correct for a bench-seat C-body 4-speed.
At least all the pics I've seen have such a handle.

The console shifter arm ends approx where I circled.
1670258925649.png

When I converted my 66 polara I got a bellhousing, trans, and other bits from Brewers Performance.
They told me that I would have to get a B body shifter and alter the handle to my liking. So I got a b comp plus shifter.
So few days later I'm surfing and I found a place "Shifter Doc" or shift doctor. Specializes in Hurst shifters. Be dammed if they didnt have a proper comp plus C body handle (sold seperatly)
I'm pretty sure there is a picture and or some specs on shifter Doc site.
I wasnt feeling good about cutting and welding a new b body shifter handle. Granted the welding would have been under the shifter boot.
The proper C handle dont hit the seat in 2nd and 4th

This is the shifter that came in my 65 300...
Is that car all factory? (I' recognize your car, but I don't 'know' it).
Yours is the first buddy-seat 4-speed Slab that I've seen, likely because its a Chrysler - so that may be why it got the console-type handle.
I've seen a bench-seat Newport 4-speed, and several 300Ls - and now a buddy seat.

To me, the console handle would be easier to use, although it likely isn't compatible with a bench seat when shifting out of 2nd and 4th, and yours is the handle I would want with a buddy seat.

Is that car all factory? (I' recognize your car, but I don't 'know' it).
Yours is the first buddy-seat 4-speed Slab that I've seen, likely because its a Chrysler - so that may be why it got the console-type handle.
I've seen a bench-seat Newport 4-speed, and several 300Ls - and now a buddy seat.

To me, the console handle would be easier to use, although it likely isn't compatible with a bench seat when shifting out of 2nd and 4th, and yours is the handle I would want with a buddy seat.
Yes, that is all factory. It comes fairly close in 2nd and 4th, but not too bad.

I guess I don't really know where the buddy seat is mounted, for where it's front edge falls compared to a bench seat
Obviously the buckets move, which doesn't matter to the shifter.
When a bench seat moves, it does move WRT the shifter.
Presumably the buddy seat is located such that it is midway, and not as far forward as a bench would go. Which might be why yours has the console shifter handle.

Your car is an interesting data point!

I believe the longer wheelbase is handled in the rear floorpan area (but willing to be corrected if I'm wrong).
I have noticed that the angled braces, that run behind the upper part of the rear seat, are noticeable closer to the kickup over the rear axle in my 65 Fury, and several inches further in my 300L.

Have owned one since 1992, other since 2006, and noticed the difference about a month ago. :wideyed:

I believe the longer wheelbase is handled in the rear floorpan area (but willing to be corrected if I'm wrong).
I have noticed that the angled braces, that run behind the upper part of the rear seat, are noticeable closer to the kickup over the rear axle in my 65 Fury, and several inches further in my 300L.

Have owned one since 1992, other since 2006, and noticed the difference about a month ago. :wideyed:
Good things take time ;-)

Back