Fan roar

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
So i installed a new Hayden 2705 fan clutch in the Imperial, went for test drive all sounds good until cat gets to 65 mph then fan gets loud and and engine feels heavy. May be a combination of something else, but it wasn't feeling this way prior to swap of clutch.
Is there a break in time for aftermarket fan clutch?

Not aware of one. The fan provides little to nothing above 30 mph anyway. My guess is bad clutch. It should free wheel at that speed.

It should spin freely when the engine is off/cold. Check that first.
If it is stiff/hard to turn then that might be your clue.

It should spin freely when the engine is off/cold. Check that first.
If it is stiff/hard to turn then that might be your clue.
Spins as it should. I always used the Mopar viscous replacement in the past 20 years. (Crazy I thought the 90s were 20 years ago, ha ha.) Not available anymore, so checking on a new experience.

I assume the fan was not swapped out.. Maybe your old clutch was doing next to nothing and this new sound is "normal"? Could be.. any temp variations on the gauge? Maybe heat up the element on the old clutch? It should get harder to turn.

I assume the fan was not swapped out.. Maybe your old clutch was doing next to nothing and this new sound is "normal"? Could be.. any temp variations on the gauge? Maybe heat up the element on the old clutch? It should get harder to turn.
Na on regular noise, I have 5 chrysler products here, wrench on many others. Only difference is this new clutch. Temps were great and steady in urban city traffic for 40 min and highway 65 mph. I just thought I would ask before swaping out again.

Did you get the HD version or the standard version? Just curious.

Normally, "no roar" at road speed unless the clutch thermostat senses too much heat and the clutch kicks in.

In the summer time of the year, we used to get some complaints of 1-ton 454 owners about the transmission downshifting unnecessarily. They were hearing "engine speed" due to the fan clutch kicking in and making more noise (as if the transmission had downshifted when it had not) "under load".

CBODY67

Did you get the HD version or the standard version? Just curious.

Normally, "no roar" at road speed unless the clutch thermostat senses too much heat and the clutch kicks in.

In the summer time of the year, we used to get some complaints of 1-ton 454 owners about the transmission downshifting unnecessarily. They were hearing "engine speed" due to the fan clutch kicking in and making more noise (as if the transmission had downshifted when it had not) "under load".

CBODY67
I bought the standard duty, but what you describe is the feeling. I'll check rad for air flow tomorrow.

Let us know what happens. From what I could find, the Hayden 1707 engages the clutch at about 170 degrees. I don't know if the 2705 is higher or lower. Maybe that's the catch, the temp when the clutch engages. I am sure others here can comment further on this.

What was the outside temp?
It will suck up a LOT of hp if it locks up at 2500 rpm. Big problem at 30/60 mph part throttle in second and third gear. Yes, you will feel it. You may go through a few fan clutches before you get one that behaves the way you want it to. Yep, it sucks.
But they do move a lot of air on a hot day towing uphill at 50 in second gear when it's needed.
I hate the heavy-duty thermal fan clutch on/off cycle in 100-degree weather. It does it whether the engine needs it or not. I would rather have a straight viscous fan clutch. I've been happy with them.
My 72 440 C still has the steel flex fan it came with. No clutch. The induction noise is louder than the fan at full throttle 4k rpm. I don't hear the fan at all below 4k.
Wonder how long before it throws a blade. Got 80 k on it now.

Back