Fan Shroud for 1967 Plymouth Sport Fury Needed

Cornelius

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know where I can obtain either an original or retrofit fan shroud for a 1967 plymouth sport fury 383 cubic inch with the original radiator?

Its a no Ac rad (22 inch rad)
Typically the 383 with no A/C did not come factory with a shroud.
You can use a 1965 2 piece shroud that fits a 22 inch rad.But they can be hard to find.
Or try to make one or use an aftermarket one.

I swapped out my rad core support and went 26" with a shroud. Much better.
BARGE ON A BUDGET 283.jpg

boab 2018 005.JPG

Typically the 383 with no A/C did not come factory with a shroud.
You can use a 1965 2 piece shroud that fits a 22 inch rad.But they can be hard to find.
Or try to make one or use an aftermarket one.

I swapped out my rad core support and went 26" with a shroud. Much better.
View attachment 379144
View attachment 379145

Wow, beautiful engine bay picture, that looks amazing!

Thanks for the information, I did not know that the the 383 with no A/C did not come with a shroud. That seems like a ridiculous idea from a manufacturer perspective as air will not pull through the rad if there is no shroud. I guess it saved them a few pennies when the car was made. Also thanks for the information regarding the 1965 2 piece shroud.

Where did you buy your rad core support, 26" rad with shroud from? I might just end up going that way instead of looking for the 1965 2 piece.

Thanks for the reply, its greatly appreciated!

These shrouds are now being repoped just to let you know, however they are pretty expensive but they are pretty accurate too as far as I know. They are metal and 4 pieces. A top half, bottom half, and 2 mounting brackets, and the same as an early b-body Mopar. I BELIEVE we have one on one of our cars, I will look, get some pictures then post them later.

Anyone know any diy/cheap ones that will work? Mines a 67 b body 22", so I don't know if it's the same.

Where did you buy your rad core support, 26" rad with shroud from?
All were used parts I gathered up scattered everywhere
The rad core support I got from a member years ago. He parted out a 67 New Yorker and lost his storage space. It was free but just paid shipping. The rad was junk. From a Newport vert that had been hit and paid scrap metal price on it and paid lots to get it repaired and recored.
I scored the shroud from a parts car in a yard.
Removing and installing the core support is not that difficult.

From what I remember the 65 to 68, 22” radiator shroud is the same for all 22"
"C" Body radiators. If it is a 318 with A/C or a 383. All the 22" radiators use the same multi-piece shroud. The metal reproduction B-body units are close, but do require some slotting of the mounting tabs. I also have a 66 B-Body (22” radiator with A/C) and can see the subtle difference between that and the “C body units. I got one a few years ago for my 68 Fury from a guy in my town that has an ebay store under his ebay store name “bs27h160”. I think I paid about $200 at the time which seemed to be about the going rate for a decent one with the side hardware. I know he still had more at the time, but that was 2-3 years ago.

Brewers performance has a shroud for e body that works with 22/23 inch rad. You need to be a little creative to mount it to the rad . But not hard
I forget what it cost but wasnt bad

I BELIEVE we have one on one of our cars, I will look, get some pictures then post them later.

From what I remember the 65 to 68, 22” radiator shroud is the same for all 22"
"C" Body radiators. If it is a 318 with A/C or a 383. All the 22" radiators use the same multi-piece shroud. The metal reproduction B-body units are close, but do require some slotting of the mounting tabs. I also have a 66 B-Body (22” radiator with A/C) and can see the subtle difference between that and the “C body units. I got one a few years ago for my 68 Fury from a guy in my town that has an ebay store under his ebay store name “bs27h160”. I think I paid about $200 at the time which seemed to be about the going rate for a decent one with the side hardware. I know he still had more at the time, but that was 2-3 years ago.

Here is an example of the 4 piece metal radiator I was telling about, this is on our Turquoise 4-door hardtop with out A/C, a 318, and a 22" radiator

20200527_170703.jpg
20200527_170713.jpg
20200526_215628.jpg
20200526_215633.jpg
20200527_170649.jpg
20200519_111504.jpg

FWIW - After I had the 22" radiator on my 67 Newport with a 383 and no ac recored, it runs right around 180 degrees regardless of the outside temp, underway or idling. It's the factory radiator with no shroud, so maybe a shroud isn't necessary? Before I had it recored I was having consistent overheating issues and was looking at a shroud as well, but as it turns out the radiator was plugged up.

FWIW - After I had the 22" radiator on my 67 Newport with a 383 and no ac recored, it runs right around 180 degrees regardless of the outside temp, underway or idling. It's the factory radiator with no shroud, so maybe a shroud isn't necessary? Before I had it recored I was having consistent overheating issues and was looking at a shroud as well, but as it turns out the radiator was plugged up.
That's my thinking also. I already contacted a local shop that can repair/flush and paint mine. I'll pull it in a couple weeks and see what happens.

65 300 383 car 22 inch rad no shroud, no clutch fan.
Rad was recored and engine was fine tuned. Also flushed out heater core.
Driven on freeways in 90 plus heat does not overheat. Infared temp gun reads 210 the highest.
69 Fury 318. 19 inch rad no ac no shroud or clutch fan. Guage reads hot but infared gun shows 200.
( guage volt limiter is questionable)
Not bad for an old car Lol.

68 Newport. Was 383 2bbl with 22 inch rad.
Now horny 383HP with 26 inch rad with shroud and clutch fan. 180 thermostat and my laser gun reads 198 after getting off the freeway from driving 70 mph for 45 minutes.
A shroud does help but not really necessary. It depends on the application.
As long as the engine is tuned properly
( retarded timing can cause overheating) and the cooling system is up to snuff,
it should work as it was intended.

FB_IMG_1641479814740.jpg

Back