Finally my own '70 Sport Fury GT

Pretty sure that none of the normal 300 Hurst cars left the factory with the GT tips (parts book only shows them for PH23 model). It was commonly added on later. That is not to say 1970 dual exhaust C-bodys didn't use those hanger brackets to support the tail pipes still, I just don't know. That hanger was on a U-code car after all..

Last edited:
Warmed up just enough here in NY to go ahead and take care of a few maintenance items on the GT.

20210314_141119.jpg

20210314_132326.jpg

New NGK plugs, repro wires, cap/rotor, new alternator & power steering belts, oil change. Also picked up some reproduction radiator hoses to replace the swollen and ready to burst originals.

20210314_162714.jpg

20210314_162751.jpg

20210314_162815.jpg

Everything installed, reproduction heater hoses too (need to get a repro strap that holds them to the fender well).

20210314_200732.jpg

Even found the original log exhaust heat shields from the convertible so I threw them on there for the time being. I do fully intend on installing a set of HP manifolds when the time comes to do the exhaust.

20210314_200812.jpg

Gah, I absolutely hate color wires/hoses. Seeing them there annoyed the hell out of me lol.
20210314_203818.jpg

Before:
20210122_164312.jpg

After:
20210314_200720.jpg

A local friend has a '70 NYer parts car (same one the washer bottle came from) that I'm going to see if he'll let me snag the valve covers from. I think it would look more appealing with the patina blue covers on there.

I think you need to switch your hoses to proper inlet and outlet at the firewall. check your original photo.
The inside diameter is different between the inlet and return nipples and hoses. Hard to confuse anything. Who knows if the red aftermarket hoses were done right.

Yes, 1970 has two different size hoses & nipples for the heater lines. Would be hard to get them swapped around when using the correct ones.

Pretty sure that none of the normal 300 Hurst cars left the factory with the GT tips (parts book only shows them for PH23 model). It was commonly added on later. That is not to say 1970 dual exhaust C-bodys didn't use those hanger brackets to support the tail pipes still, I just don't know. That hanger was on a U-code car after all..
Curious about these tips, is the valance cut out like the E bodies?

All those original looking parts look great. Now you have to get rid of that single bolt silver cover on the master cylinder!

Curious about these tips, is the valance cut out like the E bodies?

No, they are set below the valance.

All those original looking parts look great. Now you have to get rid of that single bolt silver cover on the master cylinder!

I believe the whole master cylinder was originally painted black. The brake system along with the tires were recently replaced in the last 2 years I think.

Last edited:
Some of you already seen on the GT fb page but I got the car registered last week and took it out on my first drive!

Tracks strait & actually stops well with those manual drums surprisingly! However it bogs pretty badly when you get on it. Pretty sure its starving for fuel. The ancient fuel filter is probably clogged with crap & the carb could use a rebuild. More parts to order lol

20210314_193906.jpg

20210314_193921.jpg

Looks great . Where you get the repro radiator hoses?

There's a few places that offer them as they are the same as B-body but I forgot who I went through. I believe they pretty much all come from the same source so shop around and see who offers the best deal.

There's a few places that offer them as they are the same as B-body but I forgot who I went through. I believe they pretty much all come from the same source so shop around and see who offers the best deal.

NAPA usually has the molded hoses.

Some of you already seen on the GT fb page but I got the car registered last week and took it out on my first drive!

Tracks strait & actually stops well with those manual drums surprisingly! However it bogs pretty badly when you get on it. Pretty sure its starving for fuel. The ancient fuel filter is probably clogged with crap & the carb could use a rebuild. More parts to order lol

View attachment 447681

View attachment 447682

Your GT definitely found the right owner. Keep up the good work.

View attachment 447681

View attachment 447682

Alright it's on the road! That didn't take too long at all, congratulations on getting it going and it looks great. As saforwardlook said it is in the right hands.

I got a feeling that the bog you mentioned is indeed a carburetor.

On a separate note, gas prices suck where you are.

If you know of a source, I’m all ears.

On a separate note, gas prices suck where you are.

They certainly do, probably went up another 10-20 cents for premium since last week :mad:

If you know of a source, I’m all ears.

If you have the money to splurge, theres NOS ones for $4-500 lol... Best bet is to find an original and rebuild it.

20210321_162522.jpg

Back