First Time Fury Owner

Peacedog

Reaction score
So I picked up a '65 Sport Fury, 318, about five weeks ago after nearly 6 months of searching for something worth buying that wouldn't cost an arm or a leg. Unfortunately, just under two weeks after buying it, the weather turned crap so she is on ice (literally) until spring. I am the third owner of it and have the original bill of sale, manual and warranty docs.

It's the first classic car I've owned since picking up a '71 Dart Coupe, Slant 6, to restore back in '89 for a whopping $350 (it was just barely roadworthy for the $350 and wish I never sold it :( ) so this is going to be a fun project. Ultimately she will become a daily driver.

Anyway, it's in pretty decent shape and drives quite well with the exception of needing a carb rebuild. Still on the fence whether to rebuild or swap the 2bbl out for 4bbl but that gets decided in the spring when I start working on it. (I don't typically do much engine work. Prefer to stick with body and brakes/suspension). The best part is that there is only one piece of trim I need... someone riveted it back on after doing some work. All emblems et. are present and accounted.

The body is not too bad as you can see from the pictures and the interior, aside from one spot on the passenger carpet and a small 1.5" rip on the driver seat along with about 4" of spider-cracking in the vinyl is in amazing condition. Unfortunately there is no radio/antenna/speakers.

The big debate now is whether to braze in lower fender patches or just replace the fenders outright. Parts are way more expensive than when I had the Dart and while the car doesn't need a whole lot of work, this could add up quick going with full replacement instead of repair.

The end-game is to fix what I know is wrong, decide on the carb, pre-emptively replace the leafs then go with a new paint job. Looking at Copper on Bronze where the Copper would fill the side contours front to back. It should go well with the gold/copper interior.

Here are the only four full-exterior pics I have right now:

4.jpg

65fury.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Damn, a LOT of Slab Furies have been joining of late.
Welcome! You'll be among good company.

Welcome aboard. Finding parts for 65 are very tough and yes expensive. Best of luck and would love to see it when it's done.

Nice score. That car brings back memories cause my dad had one of those years ago, it was a very cool car.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Not to worry Fratzog, this may have been a beater for me 20 years ago but definitely not now, I have only taken it out after our first snow to judge how well it would do in snow... and of course have a bit of fun in a parking lot since I haven't had a rear drive car in a long while. She is safely parked for the winter now.

More Pics!

I finally found the five pictures from the ad for my car that are much better than the four I posted in the OP and I know everyone loves pictures so here for your viewing enjoyment .....

SF-65-FL.JPG

SF-65-FR.JPG

SF-65-RR.JPG

SF-65-LIF.JPG

SF-65-LIR.JPG

Here are a few more pictures of the big things on the body that need fixing (still debating R fender repair vs. replacement): rusted out lower rear L fender(pic 1), some creased damage to the lower rear R fender(pic 2) and the lower rear R quarter(pic 3). The L quarter has had work judging from the condition compared to the rest of the car so that's one less thing to deal with at least.

The interior is what sold me on the car in the end. It was the absolute best I had seen over the ~6 months looking for a local car in my price range and the body work I should be able to do myself except possibly tackling that nasty crease.

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

That quarter crease is your biggest issue. It would be difficult to cut out and patch. Looks like you need a quarter and a fender.

I should be able to patch the R quarter seeing as I have a perfect 'template' on the left side. The creased fender is going to be a pain which is why I am thinking replace, not repair. Of course, that won't stop me from pulling out a torch, a punch and a hammer to make the repair attempt. :) The L fender rust hole will be the easy part, that's for sure.

It's been quite a long while since I have done this kind of work but have pulled it off nicely in the past and I bought a car that I thought, for the most part, I could do myself. I guess we'll see come spring lol

Sounds like you have the body work talent. You should be able to save a lot in parts and labour. Always nice to see another one saved. Keep us posted please.

To be honest, I'll be the first to call myself a hack. Aside from two years of painting cars for one of the big three back when people still did that work, I am self taught. The pros would just roll their eyes at my work (or at least my methods LOL).

I'll be sure to post pics as the work progresses this spring.

Welcome, nice score! Love the interior and it sounds like you know what your doing as far as body work goes (not my strong suite.) Good luck and keep us updated on the progress. I have to ask, is that a stock mirror on the fender?

All the "pros" now are under 30. I doubt any of them can hold a candle to you.

Thanks Commando, I am hoping I remember enough to make this a nice car to drive around in... of course, in a worst case, it would make the replace or repair conundrum an easy choice LOL

Back