First year trans cooling..?

Glider

Reaction score
I've forgot some of my ex cars details it seems... Such as what kind of trans cooling the -59 Windsor or the -62 Newport had, so now I wonder what year was the first for the lines to lead the trans oil to the radiator?
(My -56 NY has had its bits replaced with newer stuff so no use to look there.)

Good question. In high school, I had a 56 Plymouth with a powerflite and I'm fairly sure that did not have a radiator cooler.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure when the torqueflite was introduced, it was water cooled from the start. I know my 58 Desoto has factory cooler lines to the radiator.
I don't believe the powerflite was water cooled.
Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable than I will tell me if I am wrong.

Chrysler's history of firsts, there isn't enough room on this page, I imagine trans cooling via the rad happened early on.

The optional Torqueflite in the 57 Plymouth was air cooled. I believe it used a different bell housing and converter than the 58s and up. I'm not sure what Chrysler did on the other models in the line-up before 1958. I think they all were cooled using lines running to the bottom of the radiators after 58.

Seems like only the base 6-cyl and standard V-8 were the ones to be "air cooled", usually, IF any were that way, no matter the brand. More horsepower than that and they should have cooler lines, I suspect. Not sure about Fluid-Drive vehicles, though.

I tend to agree with CBODY 67 since I have seen numerous cast iron early Torqueflites that were radiator cooled and some that were air cooled. However, I don't recall seeing any aluminum Torqueflites that were not radiator cooled.

'56 Imperial has a water cooled transmission for the Powerflight & the Torqueflight. Not in the radiator but in a piece that bolts to the water pump that also is part of the lower radiator hose.

20220327_122925.jpg

Well that explains a lot wypowerwagon440 as there aint no connections for trans cooling on my rad, thanx!

wypowerwagon440 is absolutely correct. I had totally forgotten about those stand alone coolers. I've seen a number of early 50's hemi cars that had them. Not sure what transmissions they were though.

Long story from my dim past, I had a '54 Chrysler with a 331, AFB and Powerflight had that bolt on cooler.
That car was "dropped in my lap". Had been totaled, but if I had it now......... Lindsay

Look like there are transmission coolers available for Chrysler stuff going back to WWII, bigger coolers for heavier equipment.

Back