For some reason my car hates heat!

yep, shroud. lot of overheat threads. as said above seems like factory cooling is borderline n.g. converted my '69 non a/c 440 car to larger a/c radiator, wall, fan, shroud from a new yorker parts car. runs cool.

I have yet to find a shroud for my 22" that is reasonably period correct or OEM any suggestions for make/model/application I can look for in my search?

Check the 1970-1971 parts book to see if a shroud was offered and if it was, do a Google search for the part number.

Check the lower rad hose is not collapsing
If it is you need a coil inside if you can flatten with your hand

I've had personal experience on this in the past
A quick test too is to rev the engine a few times really quick and watch the hose to see if it gets sucked flat
If it does this is the problem to start with

Check the lower rad hose is not collapsing
If it is you need a coil inside if you can flatten with your hand

I've had personal experience on this in the past
A quick test too is to rev the engine a few times really quick and watch the hose to see if it gets sucked flat
If it does this is the problem to start with
But he says it's at idle when the issue comes up, not higher RPMs.

Bill I just had my original 22" no AC rad recored by Northland Rad in Red Deer. They used a large tube high efficiency copper core and the thing looks great and weighs about 5lbs more than the old rad. I had no overheating issues but then I havent run it in this heat either.

I have a spare washer bottle BTW it works but doesnt fit they way id like. Let me know if you want it.
Interesting, maybe I should buy a 22" rad for the carcass and get them to make it new.
Washer bottle - yes please!

need a shroud or fan just draws from the side....seen the effects first hand when building my 91 gmc...shrouds make a hugeeeee difference in actually drawing air through rad
I've never seen a 22" shroud, so it's either swap out the rad frame for 26" or go the bike tire/fibre glass route. Neither solution appeals to me.

I've never seen a 22" shroud, so it's either swap out the rad frame for 26" or go the bike tire/fibre glass route. Neither solution appeals to me.
I had a 66 Fury with the 22" radiator.
A 26" radiator bolted right onto the existing radiator frame.

Bill, what cars used a 22" shroud. I should definitely find one.

My 65 does.

300 027.jpg

Well ... midnight shopper time .. :elmer::lol:

I just did some parts list digging and discovered ..
ClipboardImage.png

so they do exist but I don't every remember seeing one. I wonder where they were sold, maybe hot places where AC wasn't popular. Possibly fleet vehicles where the purchaser was too frugal for AC unless it was an executive ride.

Graham, what does your search computer say about 2998 330 ?

repro shrouds are made for a, b and e bodies. check ebay. maybe they can be made to work.
the trick is finding the brackets.

I would get on the phone or email Dante ASAP as he will be in Carlisle next week. Do you have anyone that can bring it home for you from Carlisle as he will not charge for shipping if he has one and it get's picked up in Carlisle. If needed, I can pick it up at Carlisle for you if you at pay for it and arrange it for me to pick it up. If you can't find someone to ship it to you, I would be willing to do that for you if Dante will not ship to Canada. Dante is great to deal with. I am already picking up 2 things from in at Carlisle.

Bill

I use Paul's address in Athol, Idaho and have it carried to Calgary by one of the local guys running back and forth. Before I order from Dante I'll do some digging up here first, buying US these days is tough with our Mini-bucks.

when me and Pete went for drive in GT brought it up to temp...showed 180 on external temp gage...in dash gage showed barely over 1/4

Well I got everything buttoned up and let the car sit at idle until the temp stabilized. My dash gauge reached about 1/3 scale and the external gauge read about 185-190 when the defroster vent started to "vent" steam like some kind of hot spring. At first thought, the freaking heater core leaking. The same symptom that I had at the start of this thread, except at that time the external gauge was around 230F. Initially I was happy with this conclusion and decided to just bypass the silly heater which I never use anyway. However, after sleeping on it, something ain't right. At roughly 230F steam can form in the engine, but not so much at 190F unless I've got some kind of water jacket issue in one of the heads or some localized hot spots within the block.

The exhaust looks normal, no white smoke. The new overflow bottle worked perfectly, when the engine was hot the level in the bottle rose almost to the "full when hot" line and after an over night cool down the level returned exactly to the "full when cold" level. So it doesn't appear like I've lost coolant. Looking in the rad, the coolant is clean looking with no oil. Looking at the engine oil, the oil is clean, clear, no water.

So where is the steam coming from? I'm thinking I should go buy a rad pressure tester and pump it up to spec and see how long it takes to bleed down. If it drops fast, I'll bypass the heater core and test again. However if it holds pressure then I'm not sure where to look next.

Breaking news.
It seems a rad tester is around $200, too much for one test. Anybody local got one that I could borrow, or just bring it over and we'll do a test, have a barley pop and swap a few lies. :D

Last edited:
Back