For some reason my car hates heat!

I've seen some guys really heat up the area around the pipes with a torch and also apply a lot of PB Blaster. This usually works. . .
This.

The pipes are standard 3/8-18 NPT. The internal wrench deals don't work because the hole is larger than a standard piece of water pipe.

I've had them really give me a hard time, but a pair of vise grips and some heat from an oxy/acetylene torch has always freed them up. They are destroyed from the vise grips, but they are out.

If the engine was out I certainly would try heat, but installed, I'm afraid a torch would get messy real quick. I have all the hose hardware on hand now thanks to Napa so it should be a done deal later today.

if you put a piece of round stock in the pipes, a vice grip or pipe wrench won't crush the pipes. a shouldered bolt with the threads cut off would work.

Good idea, but I'm into bypass plumbing now, maybe on the next car. :mad: Part of the problem is the nipples are in a tight spot for even vice-grips and my real fear is I twist the nipple off and I'm stuck having to drill out the stub then fix any screwed up threads. It seems these nipples were spun in at the factory and were very tight even before 40 years of heat soak and rust. The bypass solution is reversible if I ever get a replacement heater core.

They're in there tight from whatever pipe sealant was used.

Being a tapered thread, all you have to do is get it to turn very slightly and they loosen up. The pipe "dope" is pretty strong stuff, but heat breaks it down to being gooey again. New ones are a few bucks, so screwing them up with vise grips isn't a big deal.

if the nipples were to break off, you can go in with a hacksaw blade. by hand cut two notches in the side wall of the pipe down to the threads without cutting into the threads. with a sharp pointed punch knock out the area between the notches, then the rest of the nipple. clean the threads with a pipe tap.

if the nipples were to break off, you can go in with a hacksaw blade. by hand cut two notches in the side wall of the pipe down to the threads without cutting into the threads. with a sharp pointed punch knock out the area between the notches, then the rest of the nipple. clean the threads with a pipe tap.
Bypass hose and a cold beer is the preferred method for us :D

i meant it more as a "Hail Mary" for those in a bad position. note earlier i did suggest the bypass caps. a far more expedient solution. also, if you haven't guessed already, i never drink. that '65 300 is beyond words.

Well the bypass is installed and doesn't seem to leak. I might shorten the lines a bit to get the loop back closer to the fender tie down. As it is I can see it sagging down towards he manifold.
P1050696.JPG

I let it idle while I watched for leaks and noticed a fuel smell. Well the fuel pressure regulator is dripping. It wasn't doing this last year. This crazy stuff continues and I'm going to start calling her Christine!

P1050698.JPG

While I'm pondering this new development, Tobias drops in for a visit and we raided the beer frig and talked cars. As for the fuel leak, I'm going to remove the regulator and replace it with a piece of fuel line. If the engine is happy then enough done, if not I'll get a new regulator, possibly one with a gauge purely for sex appeal. Meanwhile Tobias is checking out my paint job and discovers a tiny paint bubble on the trunk. Crap!

P1050708.JPG

Maybe "Christine" is too tame, maybe "*****" would be a better fit! :BangHead:

Well the bypass is installed and doesn't seem to leak. I might shorten the lines a bit to get the loop back closer to the fender tie down. As it is I can see it sagging down towards he manifold.
View attachment 137710

I let it idle while I watched for leaks and noticed a fuel smell. Well the fuel pressure regulator is dripping. It wasn't doing this last year. This crazy stuff continues and I'm going to start calling her Christine!

View attachment 137712

While I'm pondering this new development, Tobias drops in for a visit and we raided the beer frig and talked cars. As for the fuel leak, I'm going to remove the regulator and replace it with a piece of fuel line. If the engine is happy then enough done, if not I'll get a new regulator, possibly one with a gauge purely for sex appeal. Meanwhile Tobias is checking out my paint job and discovers a tiny paint bubble on the trunk. Crap!

View attachment 137713
Maybe "Christine" is too tame, maybe "*****" would be a better fit! :BangHead:
Everything else is poop happens,the paint bubble after all I seen of Paul's work is a true disappointment... but IDK how you would avoid it. From all the great step by step photo's in Critter's restoration, I don't see what else Paul could do to help prevent this... maybe it's a sign to enjoy her more.

Everything else is poop happens,the paint bubble after all I seen of Paul's work is a true disappointment... but IDK how you would avoid it. From all the great step by step photo's in Critter's restoration, I don't see what else Paul could do to help prevent this... maybe it's a sign to enjoy her more.

I must point out that the bubble is not Paul, it's the guys that did the bodywork 17 years ago. Paul made everything straight and smooth. He then shot the most amazing paint job, then color sanded and buffed.

I can't even get too excited about the bodywork that was completed to epoxy primer then parked in a farmers field to get cooked in the sun, frozen in the winter. Then it suffered another 13 years in an unheated garage. Back in the day, brand new cars started to show rust bubbles sometimes in the first yea\r or so.

I do recognize that nothing stays perfect for long, it's just frustrating to watch most things slowly fall apart.
:drama::steering:

I do recognize that nothing stays perfect for long, it's just frustrating to watch most things slowly fall apart.
That's why I spend little time with the mirror...:(

I weigh what I did in high school... but it is grotesquely reproportioned.:eek:

Maybe Paul has a touch up cure for the bubble... I sure wouldn't want to trust paintwork like that to just anyone.

That's why I spend little time with the mirror...:(

I weigh what I did in high school... but it is grotesquely reproportioned.:eek:

Maybe Paul has a touch up cure for the bubble... I sure wouldn't want to trust paintwork like that to just anyone.

Mirrors are nasty devices! A few years ago I was literally twice the man I was 50 years ago. Now only about 1.5 times and shrinking. I never really noticed how much I'd changed until I discovered working on my car was near impossible since it appears my arms have shrunk. Bought a Fit-Bit and stated to track exercise and food. Since last Sept I've dropped 50 lbs so I've been able to do some car work as long as I use long handle tools. :p

Was talking to Paul and kidding him about my trials and tribulations with the heater and fuel leak. He wants me to find a new heater core and he'll install it next month when he ventures north for another visit. The paint bubble isn't Paul's fault, most of the body work was done and sealed under epoxy primer when I delivered the car to Paul. The bodywork was pushing 15 years old and appeared to be rust free. Paul's block sanding did find a couple spots on one of the rear quarters which he stripped and made right. The trunk lid, however, didn't show any spots or pin holes. Paul will probably fix the bubble at the same time he fixes my paint chip. My paint chip happened when the Park pin didn't seat properly and the car rolled away and hit a concrete fence post.

P1050271.JPG

The paint has been christened as they say! Now that the fear of "first paint damage" has expired, I now have to rebuild my confidence to handle any roadside break downs. Fifty years ago, I'd drive anything anywhere as long as my Craftsman hip box of tools and my box of spare parts were in the trunk. Getting old sucks!!

I happened to see this video the other day. The guy is detailing an older Porsche for a NYC museum.

About 4 minutes into the video, he shows how he's touching up rock chips with a paint pen. I'm not a fan of this guy's videos, but using this paint pen looks like the way to go.

Back