For those of you with automotive lifts.

Catfish

Reaction score
My wife sent me an invoice for a nice birthday gift this morning, she ordered me a lift and a pair of rolling jacks for it. I looked through the specs, and every thing appears to work for my needs. If anyone with more knowledge would care to look at the specs, and make sure there are no huge red flags I would appreciate it. I know it's not a really expensive brand like Rotary, etc.
link to lift
http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/four-post-lifts/hds-14.aspx

image.jpg

You just made the " you suck" list.

.congratulations

Well, thats not what I was shooting for by any means. I thought I did all my homework, then the wife surprises me and just orders one on her own. Although much heavier duty than what I was looking at, it's surprising how much the lift capacity decreases as you park shorter and shorter wheelbase car on it. For instance, with my Shelby on this lift, the capacity drops from 14,000 to about 8,000 pounds if I am understanding things correctly. That is why I posted. For the Polara, the dart, and the raptor it should have plenty of capacity as well. And just to reiterate, safety is our number one concern as I will be working alone in the shop two miles from home most of the time. I would like to live to see the Polara completed. LOL

You can NOT buy a better lift than Bendpak.
Awesome!!! And enjoy the crap out of it.

Posted via Topify on Android

Thanks, looking forward to getting it assembled and plumb some air lines over to it. Changing oil on three of our cars just got a lot easier.

A friend of mine has one, it was his fist choice!
You'll need to use your imagination but he uses it to park two cars in his garage, he has a 70 cuda on the lift (the door is level with the bumper). I would recommend having it installed, geting it squared up and all the cables adjusted takes a little effort.
Dave's Garage.JPG

Alan

Dave's Garage.JPG

My buddies and I will give it a go ourselves. If we run into any issues, we do have a connection that we can call. He installs/sells lifts so he can advise us over the phone if necessary.

I've put a couple together. Take your time & you can do it. They are nice lifts. The biggest piece of advice is make sure they lift it properly with a fork lift on the ends. You can damage it, if lifted wrong. The instructions on lifting are right on the thing, but no one stops to read until.....

A screw gun was the best invention for a construction guy, and a lift is the best thing ever for a car guy. I use mine as storage, and a great work station. Hopefully you have tall ceilings. Happy Birthday!

I've put a couple together. Take your time & you can do it. They are nice lifts. The biggest piece of advice is make sure they lift it properly with a fork lift on the ends. You can damage it, if lifted wrong. The instructions on lifting are right on the thing, but no one stops to read until.....

A screw gun was the best invention for a construction guy, and a lift is the best thing ever for a car guy. I use mine as storage, and a great work station. Hopefully you have tall ceilings. Happy Birthday!

In the picture above with the Barracuda there was no room for a fork lift, we had to lift the pieces into place.

Alan

I can't offer anything but congratulations Derrick !!!!

I wish I had a garage that I could utilize one in

Yes and a great wife ... you've got a winner there and that's even better than the lift !!

In the picture above with the Barracuda there was no room for a fork lift, we had to lift the pieces into place.

Alan

I was referring to the actual shippers. I had one picked up in the middle and it bent a few things. Not good. As far as assembly, you can use a engine lift and put it together by yourself, if you want. More fun, smarter & easier with a group of guys & some beer of course.

I was hoping to offload it with the forks on my skid steer. I think they have a roughly four foot span. Hmm... Hopefully it arrives in several different boxes/pallets or whatever to reduce the load weight and prevent bending stuff. If it looks the least bit sketchy, I will just have the driver take it a half mile down the road to my buddies place. He has a few big john deer loaders with forks on them. Good advice, thanks!

It comes in one box. A long one, but not wide. 2' span on your fork lift would do it. You'll be fine.

Congrats Derrick and happy B-day. I can't think of a better gift.

Damn I had to set the hook on my brother in law and he went and found a used one which turned into 3 lifts we bought 2 they are old bed plate ones only a problem trying to get a dead car over it by myself. Now I wish we would bought the 3rd one I would have just put it outside.

Back