? for those running a factory a.c. set-up on there BB

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey all
A buddy of mine called me yesterday wondering if I knew anyone with a factory air cond. set-up on there `73 big block. I told him I would see if I could find the answer to his question and this is the fiirst place I thought to come. Sounds like he is trying to reinstall a long absent factory a.c. system and is missing one of the steel tube spacers that goes over the long bolt that goes into the head. He explained that there are more then one of these because of the extra a.c. brackets. He needs the length of the spacer that goes between the head and the bracket.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

This is a '73 Chrysler Newport Custom with a 440.

Nothing connects to a head, and there are no spacers dealing with the AC, but there may be a difference if you are dealing with a B-body.

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

Thanks brother. Are there any spacers on the passenger side with the top alternator bolt that goes into the head? I'm thinking that the spacers might be different between a.c. and non a.c. cars. Or you're right, he is not dealing with a C-body, it is a B or an E body and I just figure it would be the same and this would be the first place that I could get an answer, and it is the first of the 3 that someone chimed in.

The rear bushing against the head is 1 3/16" long and is slightly bigger in diameter than the one that shares the space along with the swept triangle bracket between the mounting ears on the alternator. This bushing is 2 1/8" in length if he doesn't already have it.

Let me know if you need any pictures of pulleys or anything else.

I would also expect E, B, or C-body would have the same setup in the same year excluding lines and maybe the condenser.

Hey Man, thanks a lot! That should help. I forwarded this link to him and I'll get back to you if he has more questions.

I just registered here. Thanks to Matt and thanks to the poster of the info. This is exactly what I needed. Cheers, Dave

Is there a bracket that goes from the back of the compressor that mounts to the intake manifold?
On my '78 it shares one of the coil mounting plate bolts.

Last edited:
Yes, you can see it, (though poorly) through the throttle spring on the top picture and just under the plug wires on the second.

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

I just registered here. Thanks to Matt and thanks to the poster of the info. This is exactly what I needed. Cheers, Dave

Welcome to the site Dave, good to have you.

Back