For those with real wood

Has anyone ever tried the peel and stick veneers they make for cabinets on their cars?

I think technically, they're middles. But still safe.

Yup. The door is before/after, and the dash is after. I intend to apply another coat of oil tonight and see what the results are.

As far as the "kitchen shelf paper"-style peel-n-stick appliques, I would not sacrifice REAL wood for contact paper, ever. Besides, I can't imagine that holding up in a car environment more than a couple of years, with the heat/cold cycles involved.

Yes.
Epic FAIL.
Stan could you or anyone else elaborate on its failure? I wasn't referring the "shelf paper stuff" but the actual real wood veneer with the adhesive on the back that could be stained etc. While I would not put this on my car, I was talking to a guy at a car show and he mentioned that he was going to try that scenario. If someone could tell me what would happen, I will tell him when I see him. thanks

Sorry, Dude. I should have been more specific.
I tried that technique on a Marqui because there was a woodcrafter's store near me that had pull-out drawers of that stuff.
My problem was in area that had sharp 90 degree grooves with a concave surface making sweeping bends. Well, you get the idea.
If your looking for squares and rectangles to fill in? Fine.
I should have said Depends on the car.

Never thought about concave surfaces, sharp bends and all, I glad I asked. The guy has a Chevy I think so I'll tell him to go at it! Haha

That could be used if you have the means to steam the piece to fit the curved area. I, too, thought you were talking about shelf paper, versus real wood appliques.

Holy crap that is a HUGE difference. Too bad it isnt this simple with the "Antiqued Bronze".

I went to Home Depot by my house to buy a quart and see how it looks on my tired wood floors at home. $25 a qt? Ill buy this online thanks.

Back