Formal Chrysler Pursuit

Mr C

Reaction score
I thought that by 74 all the C body Pursuits were Fury or Monaco...I guess I was wrong.

00A0A_90yHJgVwUWv_600x450.jpg

I remember seeing a couple of later Newports as cop cars in Colorado. A Denver suburb had them, IIRC.

In Canada police cars were often Plymouths, rarely Dodges and never Chryslers. That's likely the genesis of my lack of awareness of Chrysler pursuits.

Now special service cars (like Canada's Prime Ministerial security or your US Secret Service) did use the Chryslers-but they looked like normal cars.

Very cool cop cars!

Do any of our cop car collectors on FCBO have or know about a Chrysler cop car???

Old police cruisers are super cool! That would be a neat relic to get your hands on nowadays.

I can beat that. NH State Police: Toronados. Late sixties, not sure of exact year. They wanted to evaluate FWD but the transmissions kept going kaboom so that ended that.

Posted via Topify on Android

We had the Buick GN's running around for some time. Back in the 80's I had a Mustang GT pull up next to my 68 Firebird at about 2 am, gunning the engine and lurching back and forth. All I could see was the nose. My car at the time was a 350 powerglide with tall gears, so I already knew what would happen in a race. I just ignored him, and then he shot past me. A freakin unmarked car! Not fair! I believe he was just playing around at that time, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Extremely cool vehicle - years back I was told by a former DC cop that they used some Chryslers for cop cars in New Jersey in the sixties - but he did like to spin yarns.

A retired officer told me he drove a 4 speed, 4 door Mopar car at one time. He couldn't remember what year or exact model though.

I went out to Illinois and looked at a 1969 Newport custom 2dr ht. I was told it was a private Sherrif's car back in the day. Options included almost none: had tow package, spotlight, push bar had been removed but showed indentions on front bumper where it existed, 383 2bbl, 3-on-the-tree manual trans, no power steering or brakes. Not a K code car but I do believe it was truly a government car at the time.

A lot of the local agencies ran 79-80 ish Chrysler Newports before the Diplomats became popular.

Back