Found and Purchased Another 66 2-Door Newport

Normally at the local car shows, (of which there are a lot here in Tampa, especially now that the weather has gotten perfect), the old C-bodies don't get much love amidst the sea of boring sameness that is Mustang, Camaro, GTO, Corvette, and Tri-5 Chevys. I think I've seen every Mustang on this planet 3 times over. And I swear there are more '57 Chevys now than there were in 1957.

But yesterday, member Dave Baro and I had our cars at a little cruise near us, and the old barges attracted a fair amount of attention. Dave's '66 300 is an awesome car. If my '67 Newport custom were a dog, it would be a rescue dog to be sure....scruffy and abused, but grateful to be loved, like this '66 Turbine Bronze.

Normally at the local car shows, (of which there are a lot here in Tampa, especially now that the weather has gotten perfect), the old C-bodies don't get much love amidst the sea of boring sameness that is Mustang, Camaro, GTO, Corvette, and Tri-5 Chevys. I think I've seen every Mustang on this planet 3 times over. And I swear there are more '57 Chevys now than there were in 1957.

But yesterday, member Dave Baro and I had our cars at a little cruise near us, and the old barges attracted a fair amount of attention. Dave's '66 300 is an awesome car. If my '67 Newport custom was a dog, it would be a rescue dog to be sure....scruffy and abused, but grateful to be loved, like this '66 Turbine Bronze.
That’s awesome! I need to get this one home, cleaned up and back out cruising. I agree with you about all the more common cars. Gets old seeing seeing the same things over and over again. I appreciate these big cars more and more.

Anyone have a set of these Newport Center caps they want to sell? I’d love to get ahold of a set for this car. Thank you.
5F2ABBDD-1642-40C0-9ED1-BC8ABD6EF5B7.jpeg

Any idea how many were made in that color?

Lots of them. It was a very popular color in 1966 on Newport and 300 coupes.

It's only an unusual color to find on New Yorkers in '66.

Even though it was a common color, it's still the best color for a '66 Newport. It may have been a "Spring Special" color for 1966. I'd have to check my sales brochure on that to be sure.

Jeff

Lots of them. It was a very popular color in 1966 on Newport and 300 coupes.

It's only an unusual color to find on New Yorkers in '66.

Even though it was a common color, it's still the best color for a '66 Newport. It may have been a "Spring Special" color for 1966. I'd have to check my sales brochure on that to be sure.

Jeff
Thanks for the reply. I would be curious to know more about it and if it was a spring special color if you are willing to look it up. Thanks again!

But yesterday, member Dave Baro and I had our cars at a little cruise near us, and the old barges attracted a fair amount of attention. Dave's '66 300 is an awesome car. If my '67 Newport custom were a dog, it would be a rescue dog to be sure....scruffy and abused, but grateful to be loved, like this '66 Turbine Bronze.

I totally agree. Not to take anything away from the people who meticulously restore their pony car, but to an extent, you've seen one, you've see then all.

We haven't been to many cruise ins or shows, but we get lots of looks and complements with either of our 300's. And I regularly get waves, nods, thumbs up when driving down the road and complements in parking lots. Not that that's why I drive these cars, but it feels nice to have people appreciate them. I think part of it is that while not everyone had a muscle car in their past, most people my age or older have some kind of fond memories of owning and/or traveling in a big boat with family and friends, be it a Mopar or non.

Thanks for the reply. I would be curious to know more about it and if it was a spring special color if you are willing to look it up. Thanks again!
I think it is a Spring Special color, it isn't on the paint chips for '66. Awesome color, I wish my parts car in MM1 was worth saving, it would be a looker for sure.

LOTS to like about a '66 2-door in Turbine Bronze, especially with the black top, about the closest you could ever get to having one of these...…...it seemed to have been a spring special color, and stuck around through at least '68. Ford also came out with a bronze color in '66 called "Emberglo," so I guess that was the color of the year...….

08-1963-Chrysler-Ghia-Turbine-Car.jpg

A set of these, with slim whitewalls, and wheels painted body color (bronze) would really be cool...…… of course, these are nice as well...…..View attachment 421307
I may have a set of those deep dish wheel covers I'd sell if you're interested. They are 14" and would require that you have the correct wheels with deep offset to fit them.

Nice '66 BTW! Turbine bronze with black vinyl top is a great look.

I may have a set of those deep dish wheel covers I'd sell if you're interested. They are 14" and would require that you have the correct wheels with deep offset to fit them.
Hey Mike, thank you. I’m really looking for a set of the poverty style center caps more than the actual hubcaps. But I appreciate you reaching out.

Hey Mike, thank you. I’m really looking for a set of the poverty style center caps more than the actual hubcaps. But I appreciate you reaching out.
I think I HAVE seen those "poverty caps" on eBay before, but as with many things on eBay, the price was anything but at the poverty level. Someone around DC drives a '68 Newport drop top with them, and they're a neat look. Check some of the wheelcover sites though, you just might come across some. You might also check the Wheel Vintiques website, they a range of poverty caps in the accessory section that might pan out if other options don't work.

You're welcome. Those poverty caps aren't common but they do come up from time to time. I purchased a set from a member here to change-up the look of one of my '66 Chryslers for next year.

About 4 years back, I went up to an old junk yard north of Tampa, to look at a Kaiser Vagabond. I was directed up the road a quarter mile, to the "old" yard site, which only had about 10 cars, mostly from the '60s. Near the Vagabond was a '66 Ranchero, the bed was PILED with old hub caps. On the ground surrounding the Ranchero were hundreds (if not thousands) of old hub caps. The weeds had taken over, and those hubcaps just sat there. Later that week I called back up there, and offered $1 per unit, and I'd buy all of them. No dice.

You're welcome. Those poverty caps aren't common but they do come up from time to time. I purchased a set from a member here to change-up the look of one of my '66 Chryslers for next year.

There is currently one used set on ebay with a few scratches and dings. I might try to snag them. Thank you!

what makes the poverty caps look... well.... less impoverished, is to paint the wheels the same color as the car, and that will be all the better in turbine Bronze, and kinda resembles those on the turbine car itself..... Matching that color might be easier said than done, so I'd try them out the car first before going through the painting to see if you like them well enough.

what makes the poverty caps look... well.... less impoverished, is to paint the wheels the same color as the car, and that will be all the better in turbine Bronze, and kinda resembles those on the turbine car itself..... Matching that color might be easier said than done, so I'd try them out the car first before going through the painting to see if you like them well enough.
NAPA can match the paint and put it into spray cans.

Back