Found and Purchased Another 66 2-Door Newport

what makes the poverty caps look... well.... less impoverished, is to paint the wheels the same color as the car, and that will be all the better in turbine Bronze, and kinda resembles those on the turbine car itself..... Matching that color might be easier said than done, so I'd try them out the car first before going through the painting to see if you like them well enough.
Poverty caps with body-colour matched wheels:
upload_2020-12-8_9-56-8.jpeg

I'm going to add trim rings for this look on my car. I'll keep the wheels black and I don't have whitewall tires though. If you added trim rings and painted the wheels body colour then they'd look a lot like the Ghia Turbine wheel covers. :D
upload_2020-12-8_9-57-42.png

Poverty caps with body-colour matched wheels:
View attachment 421449

I'm going to add trim rings for this look on my car. I'll keep the wheels black and I don't have whitewall tires though. If you added trim rings and painted the wheels body colour then they'd look a lot like the Ghia Turbine wheel covers. :D
View attachment 421450

Mike, thats exactly what I am after. The same look as your red Newport. I think that's the direction I am going to go. Thank you for the inspiration.

I love the dog dish caps on A,B body's. But Chryslers, especially with rich colors such as yours, really need the original wheel covers to best represent the car and the era. "poverty" is out of place on most C body's.
Stan, I loved your New Port, the color and style, but it always begged for wheel covers and whitewalls IMHO.

Those New Yorkers are just off the charts on the "freakin' cool" scale. I'm not sure if there is a bad color, wheel, hubcap or moulding. The cars are just cool. Super nice find. Congrats.

Mike, thats exactly what I am after. The same look as your red Newport. I think that's the direction I am going to go. Thank you for the inspiration.
looking forward to seeing it! To me, the whitewalls make ALL the difference on the red Newport, but if those aren't your bag, the chrome trim rings may give it the same effect.

I bought those Chrysler center caps off eBay. Hopefully going to get the Turbine Orange car today! I’ll post more pics when I get it home.

Drove the Newport about 30 min home. Seemed to run okay. A hesitation on initial throttle tip in. Some slight surging when cruising along at 55-60 mph. Brakes felt good. Pretty sure a good tune up and some fresh fuel and it’ll be better. The gentlemen I bought it from hadnt really driven it much.

Shame about that RH front fender. Are you familiar with AMS Obsolete? It's a company north of Atlanta that has an unbelievable amount of NOS and vintage Mopar parts. They are located way way back in rural Georgia off I-75, with some 600 cars out in the piney woods, and a bunch of buildings packed chock-full of parts. It's a mind-blowing place, not really a retail outlet, more online sales, but a visit there won't be forgotten. Here are some photos....

P7290019.JPG

P7290018.JPG

P7290027.JPG

P7290022.JPG

Last edited:
Shame about that RH front fender. Are you familiar with AMS Obsolete? It's a company north of Atlanta that has an unbelievable amount of NOS and vintage Mopar parts. They are located way way back in rural Georgia off I-75, with some 600 cars out in the piney woods, and a bunch of buildings packed chock-full of parts. It's a mind-blowing place, not really a retail outlet, more online sales, but a visit there won't be forgotten. Here's some photos....

View attachment 422371

View attachment 422372

View attachment 422373

View attachment 422374

wow! That’s super cool! Thanks for sharing those pics!

Back