Front and rear shock absorbers for my 57 Belvedere 301 v8?

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
I hear KYB shocks are good middle of the road shocks but there's so many on ebay and have contradicting info on what actually fits. Not looking to spend a lot but don't want junk either. Anyone have info on what will fit front and rear maybe on ebay or Amazon?? Thanks!

I put 4 KYB's on a 57' and other than being happy with the ride I know I didn't pay anywhere near the prices MoparMall is showing.

I put 4 KYB's on a 57' and other than being happy with the ride I know I didn't pay anywhere near the prices MoparMall is showing.
Can you please tell me where I can get them? The Mopar sites say theirs are either Gabriel or Monroe and haven't heard great things about them. thanks!

Can you please tell me where I can get them? The Mopar sites say theirs are either Gabriel or Monroe and haven't heard great things about them. thanks!

KYB- KG4507- $31.01 ea. purchased 4-29-2018 From Summit
KYB-KG5511 - $34.77 ea. Purchased 4-29-2018 From Summit.
I don't remember which numbers are front or rears but the fronts have the upper stem, lower eye for bolt.

The rear shocks are simple bolt in as normal.
The front shocks will require the lower steel sleeve the mounting bolt goes through to have I believe 1/8th inch ground off the width/length of the sleeve. The sleeve protrudes enough through the rubber bushing to be able to grind it with out touching the rubber bushing.
I believe I took 1/16th off each side of the sleeve to keep the shock centered in the lower mount.

I used a dial caliper to measure the lower mount opening and to make sure I removed enough of the steel sleeve so I knew it would fit the opening before I installed it.

Remove front tires and let suspension hang freely, It will be easier to install front shocks this way.
Make sure you have the upper mounting rubber bushing mounted correctly.
Push the shock up through the upper hole, you can install the upper mounting rubber bushing and steel washer and nut but don't tighten yet.

When you have done this cut the strap holding the shock compressed and be ready to guide that lower mount into position because that shock is going to be opening quickly.

That is why I advise removing the front wheels to make it easier to line up the lower mounting hole.

These were installed on a 1957 Dodge Sierra wagon which I believe is the same suspension as a 1957 Plymouth.

I don't remember which numbers are front or rears but the fronts have the upper stem, lower eye for bolt.

The front shocks will require the lower steel sleeve the mounting bolt goes through to have I believe 1/8th inch ground off the width/length of the sleeve. The sleeve protrudes enough through the rubber bushing to be able to grind it with out touching the rubber bushing.
I believe I took 1/16th off each side of the sleeve to keep the shock centered in the lower mount.

I used a dial caliper to measure the lower mount opening and to make sure I removed enough of the steel sleeve so I knew it would fit the opening before I installed it.

Remove front tires and let suspension hang freely, It will be easier to install front shocks this way.
Push the shock up through the upper hole, you can install the upper mounting rubber bushing and steel washer and nut but don't tighten yet.

When you have done this cut the strap holding the shock compressed and be ready to guide that lower mount into position because that shock is going to be opening quickly.

That is why I advise removing the front wheels to make it easier to line up the lower mounting hole.

These were installed on a 1957 Dodge Sierra wagon which I believe is the same suspension as a 1957 Plymouth.
4507 is the front

Rockauto is has the front #4507 for similar price.
They have the rears # at 5512 so do not know the difference from # 5511 that I know fits.

I found these under 1967 Chrysler Newport 383cuin.

You guys are GREAT! Just the info i needed! Thank you Jakter too and will follow your installation advice. The up to date price on Amazon with free shipping is about $43.00 ea

The bottom of the front shock interferes with what? Is the through bolt sleeve too beefy and touches the frame so you can't get the bolt through?

The bottom of the front shock interferes with what? Is the through bolt sleeve too beefy and touches the frame so you can't get the bolt through?
If I remember correctly, the front bottom mounting eye on the shock mounts into what I would call a U shaped mounting point.

The bolt sleeve will be wider or longer than the U shaped mounting point and needs to be shortened.

When you remove your old shock, before you cut the strap put the new one on place and you should see what I'm talking about.

Or better yet compare the old with the new and measure like you did. Thanks much! Already have the rears in and am waiting for the fronts to arrive. I have removed the old fronts. The existing upper rubber piece appears to be a "grommet" that is slotted to hold it in place in the tower. I wonder if new shocks will have that type of rubber piece or I may have to reuse the old one?

That was fast delivery.
You should have two rubber what you call "grommets" and two concave washers.
The rubber grommets should have a shoulder that will fit the hole in the frame, essentially like if you split the original Grommet in half.

Pay close attention to the instructions as which way the concave washers are pointing.

This is a little nuts. The FRONT KYB shocks came in their boxes fully extended with no tie down so I have to compress them manually and try to install quickly into place but they extend really fast. I am on the first one that I managed to get into place but at an angle so the top stud doesn't protrude through its hole.
The bottom of the shock sits to one side of the through bolt bracket so I have to pry the bottom up and over to my right to get it close to where it should be and then deal with the upper stud to get it through it's upper hole. Keep in mind the car is on jack stands not a car lift which limits me.

Bottom line is the KYB shocks should have had some method of tie down to keep it compressed and short (like the rears had) and the install would be a breeze. I'm going to have to figure out a way to make my own tie down that can be removed when the shock is in place. How did you guys do it in front? These are KYB KG4507 shocks.

This is a little nuts. The FRONT KYB shocks came in their boxes fully extended with no tie down so I have to compress them manually and try to install quickly into place but they extend really fast. I am on the first one that I managed to get into place but at an angle so the top stud doesn't protrude through its hole.
The bottom of the shock sits to one side of the through bolt bracket so I have to pry the bottom up and over to my right to get it close to where it should be and then deal with the upper stud to get it through it's upper hole. Keep in mind the car is on jack stands not a car lift which limits me.

Bottom line is the KYB shocks should have had some method of tie down to keep it compressed and short (like the rears had) and the install would be a breeze. I'm going to have to figure out a way to make my own tie down that can be removed when the shock is in place. How did you guys do it in front? These are KYB KG4507 shocks.
I used a few zip ties to keep the shock compressed while I inserted it into the space. I then cut the zip tie and fished the remaining pieces out using the pick and some needle nose pliers.

Unfortunately, that’s the best I can provide.

Back