Front Disk Conversion - 63 Newport

JohnB

Reaction score
If I know that the Rotors, Bearings, Seals, Dust Caps, and Lug nuts from a 1977 Monaco will fit my 63 Newport Spindles....then can I just install the a whole 77 Monaco Front Disk disk kit?

The Newport spindle (knuckle) is the same as 300, New Yorker, and 880.

Last edited:
If your 1963 Newport has front drum brakes, the 1st problem is no caliper mounts on your steering knuckles/spindles.

If the 77 Monaco is a B-Body, you may be able to move the 1977 steering knuckles/spindles to the 1963 Newport.

If the 77 Monaco is a C-Body, 74-78 c-body front disc brakes do not bolt on to 65-73 c-body cars. General consensus that it requires too much alteration to make them work. I expect your Newport will be even harder to adapt to the later C-body brakes.

The used spindles and new calipers, caliper brackets, 11.75 rotors and pads for a 78 Cordoba fit my 64 New Yorker. Along with a 67 New Yorker dual master cylinder and the original 64 single master cylinder power booster.
The tie rod adjuster sleeves were 1/4 inch too long and the spindle/knuckle turn stop had to be clearanced to gain full steering travel.
The manually adjustable rear brake unloader from a 93 Dakota that also constantly adjusts rear brake pressure based on rear body ride height works good in the dry. Haven't tried it on ice. Not using a proportioning valve on this one.

Back