Front drum adjustment

Reaction score
ok just replaced my front drum wheel cylinders and converted to a dual bowl MC on my 64 300k.
My stopping distance SUCKS, really have to press hard to barely stop. Here's a video I'm guess I don't have the pads adjusted close enough to the drums.
Any help would be great!

Well the video is not working. So when I spin the wheel and tire with one hand the wheel rotates really freely and does atleast 7-8 rotations with a light spin.

I'm assuming my self adjustment doesn't have the shoes pushed out far enough?

ok just replaced my front drum wheel cylinders and converted to a dual bowl MC on my 64 300k.
My stopping distance SUCKS, really have to press hard to barely stop. Here's a video I'm guess I don't have the pads adjusted close enough to the drums.
Any help would be great!

There is a plug in the back of the backing plate on the bottom. Remove the plug and take an old fashioned brake adjusting tool and bring up the star wheel until the lining just touches the drum with slight resistance. That should get you close enough to where the car will stop. Usually if the shoes are way out of adjustment, the brake pedal will have a lot of travel and be pretty close to the floor. You can also remove the front wheels and use a drum caliper to adjust the shoes if you have one, most people don't. As with all brake hydraulics be sure everything is properly bled and the travel rod is properly adjusted before proceeding.

Dave

Back