Fury GT 440-6 found on Facebook (not for sale)

I should add he also quoted a console mounted Tack and a rear fender radio antenna. He wrote the order but the factory nixed the tach and said I could have the antenna anywhere I wanted as long as it was the right front fender. :confused:
In the end I won, I have a nice console mounted tach and welded up fender antenna hole. I bought one of those $20 hidden antennas from eBay and it works great around the city. On the highway I use CD.
I've often wondered what would have happened if he had written the order to include the Hemi. :confused:

The sentence above would have said

" but the factory nixed the tach and the Hemi ... " :)

Interesting car, what does the VIN say about engine size?
The hood 440 badges don't look right, they look more like Coronet badges.
I can confirm the 440 badge in the last pic is correct for a 70 Fury, as that is a pic of one of my cars.

I can confirm the 440 badge in the last pic is correct for a 70 Fury, as that is a pic of one of my cars.
Sorry Bill, the badges look more upright from that angle whereas the correct ones look more slanted. But, you certainly know what the correct badge looks like. From straight on they look almost italic.
IMG_20130326_152939.jpg

The sentence above would have said

" but the factory nixed the tach and the Hemi ... " :)
up until a few months ago I would have agreed 100% with you, but after seeing the PM27R0D..... VIN, I'm not so sure.
I do know I saw a '70 Fury I cop car with a factory 440 6-pac and that combination "can't" exist - but it does.

it's one thing to have a 440 6 BBL in a C body which was an option, and another to have a Hemi in one which wasn't an option. The hemi heads are massive, and they had different motor mounts, brake booster clearance issues, etc not to mention whatever else would have been different to fit one in a C body.

In 2014, I was just about to order an SRT "core" Challenger. There is a delete option for the spoiler on an R/T Challenger, but not the SRT. I actually like the car a little better w/o the spoiler because back-in-the day, only the T/A came with that ducktail spoiler. On the new version it's mostly on board for mileage (that's why it can be deleted).

My old boss at Chrysler, who I hang out with outside of work, had just gotten a bump to production scheduler. He was going to get me the spoiler delete, and it would have been the last Header orange. I would have enjoyed arguing with people 20 years from now.

Dealer was afraid to place the order, or didn't want the hassle. I wasn't going to beg somebody to take my $40k, so I spent the $$ on a condo in AZ instead. So far it's been a better investment, lol.

No where near an "engine swap", but then again, this ain't 1970 either. The SF would be nothing to build on the line if you knew the right people. A Hemi would require people at a level above the plant Mgr, like a director-level and some of those parts would have to be hand carried from engineering.

I didn't mean to create any controversy but I just don't believe Chryco was ever gonna put a 426 Hemi in a C body unless your name was Dick Landy or some such. No offense :)

Like I said. I don't mean to create any controversy which you can also take to mean argue about it.

I hope that picture is a real deal but doubt it. However I'd love it if true !

I didn't mean to create any controversy but I just don't believe Chryco was ever gonna put a 426 Hemi in a C body unless your name was Dick Landy or some such. No offense :)
Chrysler was actually going to put a 426 Hemi in a Chrysler in 1970; the 300 Hurst. It was slated for the Hemi, I believe it actually got as far as the engineering dept, where engine mounts were designed. After a test fit, it was decided to be time and cost prohibitive, as this was essentially a mid year produced car.

Sorry Bill, the badges look more upright from that angle whereas the correct ones look more slanted. But, you certainly know what the correct badge looks like. From straight on they look almost italic.
View attachment 76269

No worries Bill. Is your pic what you consider upright or slanted? It looks like the same badge as on my original paint white GT.
2016-04-15 21.40.10.jpg

2016-04-15 21.40.10.jpg

That must have been hella cool to be able to order a big block Fury straight from Chryco itself.

Im not crazy about "tribute" cars. I just see "fake" superB or "fake" challanger rt"....and it seems like the "tribute" cars are becoming more numerous then the "real deal" cars.....buuuut if you got the time and the money its a free country, one can do what one will I guess.

I was thinking the badges were R/T
But obviously the ones on the Fury are proper '70 440 badges.
Sorry for the confusion, get old and must need new specs.
Thanks, I see the difference. It was not until the second time I reviewed the pictures that I noticed they were not all of the same car and that the hood pic was one of my cars.

In a Fury??? A Fury, right? You said FURY?
Explain in detail please.
Ain't much detail, in 1970 a 440 350, 440 hp, 440 6-pac and the hemi were just engines, no big deal other than having more HP than you could legally use to beat the local fast cars at stoplight challenges. My motivation never was street races, I was always afraid I'd hit someone or run over their dog. I wanted torque to haul my boat and the little house trailer I had access to.
It wan't until 1996 that I discovered I owned a C-body, having never heard the term before. I've always drove and fixed my cars when they wouldn't run, but I never really cared "what" they were. When I first hit the internet looking for parts, I joined every Mopar list that sported a For Sale section. This brought me to the attention of Andy Posluszny in Texas who had a near identical car, same color, same options, plus hed had AC. When I bought mine I didn't get AC because I couldn't see the point with a convertible. Hindsight has proven a convertible with a black roof, black interior and no AC is a very bad idea in Calgary where we get a lot of high altitude sun.
Anyways, Andy knew the 440 vert was rare, in his searches he only found one other before mine, Brian Ober in Penn had a green one. Since then, I spent a lot of time chasing parts and in the process the three known 440 verts grew to seven. As far as I know I'm the only one to bite the bullet and get one restored.
I like the idea of owning one of the last convertibles made by Plymouth and I still like the raw power the 440 produces. Being a one of seven is also neat, but doesn't mean much to most people. Having a "one of one" hemi convertible would also be neat but probably not much else. I did bow to the almighty hemi though, I bought a fully loaded Jeep GC with a hemi and manage to piss off my wife every time I pull off a WOT merge. It's fun, makes me giggle just the Fury does. Plus the Jeep has fantastic AC:p
You've got to remember, in 1969 when I ordered my car, you could get literally anything you wanted if you had a pocket full of green and knew the right people.
:soapbox:

You're missing my point.
You could not have been offered the Hemi in your Fury.
Brass hat car, executuve car, special order car...
Call it what you want but the dealer could not have quoted you 900 bucks for it to come with a Hemi under any circumstances.

Back in Sept 1969 when I ordered the Fury...
I was given a quote for a hemi. For some strange reason Sport Fury's could have any engine except a hemi, while Fury III's could have any engine except a 440 HP or a 440 6-pac
I was quoted $440 for a 440 350hp and $865 for a hemi.
:bs_flag:

except a 440 HP
The 440 available was a 350 horsepower 440 That's not a 440 HP.

Last edited:
You're missing my point.
You could not have been offered the Hemi in your Fury.
Brass hat car, executuve car, special order car...
Call it what you want but the dealer could not have quoted you 900 bucks for it to come with a Hemi under any circumstances.
Commando, you are too busy blowing your lips to listen to what people tell you and contrary to your opinion, you are not the fountain of all mopar knowledge.

Back