Fuse link remplacement

Nicko

Reaction score
Hi, my fuse link died on my 69 Dodge monaco 318 and i would like to remplace it by a fuse holder . Is it a good solution or not ? If not Why ? Thanks

070-675_HR_0.jpg

I ve done it. Not the correct way but it works. The factory links are color coded. Carry a spare fuse if you go this route. Check with NAPA & see if they have the correct one

i'll take the "if not, why?" part -

the ATC fuse is designed to blow / pop *poof* at a surge of electricity beyond its specified rating.

the wire link however can sustain this surge longer/more is more tolerable of it - i.e. it will not blow immediately.

Say you have high beams on, and the radio, and a blinker, etc - you have some electrical draw going on. Then you turn on something else, say your heater. That surge of the new item coming on may pop your fuse. Where the link would hold thru the surge.

I hope that's a decent example...

try not to die -

- saylor

Saylor has it right.

Also, that fuse holder shown isn't going to be able to carry the current needed... and you won't be able to buy a fuse to fit it that is rated high enough.

Ok thank you for the answer, I will try to find the correct link i need

Summitracing dont have this one, the 69 is different ... The only one i found is in NOS and expensive !

2926475.jpg

Real easy answer...

You need to buy a few of these:

w31c030.jpg

Your local shop should have them, but if not,

25 Packard 56 Series Male 16-14 Gauge Terminals GM 2971962 | eBay

Buy a generic fusible link and strip insulation and attach the new ends. The old plastic connectors will slide off the old link with a little squeeze from a needle nose pliers on the terminal. Slide them on the new link and install.

Take a look at this:
Fusible Link

The thread wanders a little (they all do around here), but the OP went through the same ordeal.

it may be time for you to study the MAD / Nacho ammeter bypass documents too, if you still have stock wiring and/or and AMP gauge.

Back