fuselage cars in unusual places

The boy who took the pictures lived in that street, so he is not related to the car.

The license plates are East German ones, but as Carsten wrote, these were "export" tags. Any foreign car allowed in with foreign temoprary/export tags would have to swap the plates for as long as the car was allowed to be driven inside East Germany. When the car left the country, swap license plates again. Probably the car had those old, oval West-German customs/export tags and the owner had to put on the ones visible in the picture to drive through East Germany, perhaps visiting relatives and showing of his new Fury. I don't think the car was owned by an East German, although rumor has it that Western cars trickled through the iron curtain here and there and became the possession of East Germans.

The removal of the side marker refelctors and the changed outer headlights (I didn't notice any of the two details!) lets me assume the car was titled in West Germany before. West German TÜV didn't like side marker (lights) up until the late 1990's or even later. And sealed beams are still not officially allowed.

I've seen C-Bodies here and there in West Germany during the 70's and 80's. Mostly driven by U.S. Army officers....enlisted soldiers had the A, B, E's. I've been to East Berlin numerous times and rarely seen American cars there. Then again I wasn't there looking for cars....

There were three different wheel covers available for 1969 Fury's. These were called "performance", and I think were standard on disc brake equipped cars. Also were sport and deluxe, which I have on the Admiral.

Talkin' about the evil Empire, there were some US cars in the Soviet Union, too. Like this 1970 Chrysler 300 two-door that seems to have been registered there at some time before the cold war ended.

Great Leader Leonid Brezhnev is said to have had a collection of 100 cars, mostly foreign, of course. And among these the majority was American like a Ford Mustang. However, the 1971 Dodge Challenger in the photo below belonged to a customs worker who miraculously got his hands on it and bought it for his wife. When impossible-to-get spare parts were needed, the car was put away. It still exists today as can be seen in the next photo.

2de20b4s-960.jpg

Back