gas smell

Kelly Coleman

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
here are pictures of my tank and the lines I have. Yes there is a gas tank pad. the cap is not vented. I drove it saturday to the AW for rootbeer, 1/4 tank of gas, 77 degrees out. 10 min after parked i could smell gas 100 feet away. slite pressure in tank. got home[30 miles] same thing. where is the pressure coming from?????????? No return line, just suction and vent[2]. It cant come back from OE pump??????? good thing I dont have standing pilot light in my garage!!!!!!!!! Yes vent lines are open. should I put vented cap on??? will it leak on acceleration?? Im lost

IMG_20220904_122535669.jpg

IMG_20220904_122529520.jpg

IMG_20220904_122521366.jpg

Where does the vent line go? Have you pushed any compressed air through the vent line? The car runs good? Usually if the tank can't vent you will have fuel issues, the pump will try to pull a vacuum on the tank. I don't remember if the fuel cap is vented.

Yes runs fine, vent lines blow free. Hose barbs blow back into tank. Cap new, not vented(old one wasn't either)

Yes one vents above rear end the other goes up into trunk then back down into frame fail

here are pictures of my tank and the lines I have. Yes there is a gas tank pad. the cap is not vented. I drove it saturday to the AW for rootbeer, 1/4 tank of gas, 77 degrees out. 10 min after parked i could smell gas 100 feet away. slite pressure in tank. got home[30 miles] same thing. where is the pressure coming from?????????? No return line, just suction and vent[2]. It cant come back from OE pump??????? good thing I dont have standing pilot light in my garage!!!!!!!!! Yes vent lines are open. should I put vented cap on??? will it leak on acceleration?? Im lost

View attachment 556252

View attachment 556253

View attachment 556254
Vented gas cap would be a cheap experiment. You could always try it.

It seems something is strange about the Quanta gas tank. Have you tried Quanta customer service (410) 658-5700 ?

Either that or the smell/leak is not coming from the gas tank.

Back