Gearbox help!

Vinsanity

Reaction score
Recently found out that I have a leak.. idk if I should rebuild the gearbox or it’s something that is a easy fix..

AEDFF83A-72C0-4AFD-81B3-0A09D94C7363.jpeg

First check to be sure the return line is not peeing oil on the the adjustment hub, the clamp on the return line should be a spring type clamp so movement of the hose does not cause the clamp to cut into it. These units often leak from bad o-rings on the power assist valve (that is the part the hoses hook to) oil will then run down on the adjuster hub. Check these two items and report back as to what you find, some brake kleen to clean things up will be helpful in locating the leak. If the main hub (the part with the slots in it) is leaking, the unit will need to come out as there is no good way to fix that type of leak without fully disassembling the steering gear. If the unit is leaking around the jam nut for the adjuster, check to be sure the nut is properly torqued.

Dave

First check to be sure the return line is not peeing oil on the the adjustment hub, the clamp on the return line should be a spring type clamp so movement of the hose does not cause the clamp to cut into it. These units often leak from bad o-rings on the power assist valve (that is the part the hoses hook to) oil will then run down on the adjuster hub. Check these two items and report back as to what you find, some brake kleen to clean things up will be helpful in locating the leak. If the main hub (the part with the slots in it) is leaking, the unit will need to come out as there is no good way to fix that type of leak without fully disassembling the steering gear. If the unit is leaking around the jam nut for the adjuster, check to be sure the nut is properly torqued.

Dave
Will look into it today

Never seen one leak there... Either the return line as Dave said or it's something like a valve cover dripping oil on it. Clean it up with brake cleaner and see where it's coming from.

The only seals I'll replace on a steering box are the input and output shaft seals, and O rings under the centering valve. The rest are outside "normal service" and the box should be professionally rebuilt or replaced.

Just finished replacing my steering gear box Friday after Turkey Day. Bought a BBB rebuilt through Parts Geek. Old box was pouring fluid around the valve body, down by the Pittman arm and yes, around the main hub. Changing the old unit out was very straightforward and the new box works quite well for the present. I replaced the high pressure hose and plan to rebuild both couplings as soon as the LandRover rag joint coupling rubber I ordered from Rimmer Bros in GB gets here. I have all the hardware for the pot coupling too, and clamped it down with the Mopar prescribed spring clamp recommended if any part of the steering column is disturbed.

Its really a pretty easy job. The FSM and Rick Ehrenberg provide ample instructions. You will want at least a gallon of fresh power steering fluid to flush the old stuff and air from your pump and hoses when hooking up the new gearbox. By virtue of my severe fluid hemorrage, my fluid was quite clean already.... :(, but I haven't needed to add a single drop since 11/24 :D !

Back