Gearshift indicator actuator rod

Dixon

Reaction score
I was under the dash of my 1965 Newport and knocked the actuator rod for the gearshift indicator off. I'll be darned if I can find where it attaches to the back of the cluster. Anyone have a good photo I could use as reference. The spring didn't break I just knocked it off. Thanks,

Essentially right below the cluster at the column. There should be a little lever coming out of a slot on the column that moves with the gear shift lever. It will have a small hole with a small bolt and nut that attaches to the arm of the indicator in the gauge cluster. All of the parts are sort of able to pivot, so see if indicator attaching arm is flipped up and not visible. The part that attaches to the column lever has a slot in it to allow for adjustment. Hope this helps.

Essentially right below the cluster at the column. There should be a little lever coming out of a slot on the column that moves with the gear shift lever. It will have a small hole with a small bolt and nut that attaches to the arm of the indicator in the gauge cluster. All of the parts are sort of able to pivot, so see if indicator attaching arm is flipped up and not visible. The part that attaches to the column lever has a slot in it to allow for adjustment. Hope this helps.
Yes, Ross. Thanks. As it turned out I didn't knock it off the rod broke. I now have to investigate whether it is machined smaller where it goes into the assembly or if it is a pin I can try to remove/replace. Thanks,

Indicator1 (1).JPG

Indicator1 (2).JPG

I am sure you will and can come up with a solution.
Thanks for the confidence. I did fashion up a new rod but apprehensive as to how I will keep the needle affixed to the shaft. We'll see. I'll, no doubt, shop for a replacement.

Thanks for the confidence. I did fashion up a new rod but apprehensive as to how I will keep the needle affixed to the shaft. We'll see. I'll, no doubt, shop for a replacement.
Just remember, there is no load on it, unless other issues exist with the needle...

Back