Genuine Alligator Grain Top seen in Sebring

Curious if finding those critters in your yard is a regular event? How far from a water source do they travel?
It's not a regular event but it's not rare either. I'm guessing he came from the waterhole in the golf course I'm on.

Ok that makes sense, I'm sure you're correct. The area which I live and grew up in doesn't have much for dangerous wildlife. Within reason, pretty much any body of water is safe to jump in for a dip. Kinda humbling to think that a body of water might be hiding something capable of ending your life. Keep an eye out and stay safe!

White golf balls look like "marsh mellows"? No wonder they like golf courses! Wonder how the tension in the golf balls affects their innards when their stomach fluid gets to that rubberized core of the ball???

When we went to the wildlife park on Avery Island, LA back in the early '80s, there were gators in the lagoon. Easy way to find them lurking just under the water's surface was to toss an empty plastic film case (remember 35mm film?) toward them. Suddenly the water came alive as they jumped up to get it, then returned to lurking after they chomped down on it. Imitation "chocolate covered marsh mellows"?

CBODY67

th?id=OIP.awRxx74dCmATVHGvLf53_AHaEz&pid=15.jpg
th?id=OIP.dnIoGvfKzAWtvxl19OpVywHaEK&pid=15.jpg

Curious if finding those critters in your yard is a regular event? How far from a water source do they travel?
They move around a lot in mating season... lots of backyard pool invasions. Actually not lots, but they do seem to get plenty of folks freaked out when they acquire one. I know a guy who does the "nuisance gator" thing, he gets really busy as the weather warms.

[QUOTE="BLIMP, pretty much any body of water is safe to jump in for a dip. Kinda humbling to think that a body of water might be hiding something capable of ending your life. QUOTE]

Pretty much any body of water hides things that could do that, not to mention one can't breath under water. Once you step into the water around here you fall directly to the bottom of the food chain.

I heard that Pedro is pretty quick and a good grill cook! LOL!

Speaking of Pedro & Gators, anyone remember rotten.com?

Well they had pictures and a story of a Pedro that didn't fair to well.
Pedro of grounds maintenance at one of the many golf courses down in Broward County (most likely in the new sprawl west of I-95) his early morning duties were to put the flag sticks in all the holes and freshen up the ball washers. Pedro was a very reliable employee and had been there for decades so much he went about his job with absolutely no supervision, he was also a faithful husband for just about as many years and the golf course was surprised to hear from his wife that he didn't come home from work from the previous day which got the course manager to check his time card, sure enough he punched in at 5AM but didn't punch out for lunch or at the end of the day. A search of the course turned up nothing so they concentrated on the waterholes where they found one very large gator hunkered down for a rest with a very full belly. They get the gator out and kill it and when they cut open the belly... yep you guessed it there was Pedro, shorts, sneakers and all. Of course rotten.com had all the pictures. :eek:

Then I don't know if any Floridians remember a story about a golf course down Broward/Dade County way that captured and tagged a giant gator then released it up in the Okefenokee Swamp way up in North Florida, THREE TIMES! Then when it came back the third time they killed it. :wideyed:

Back