GJS's 1967 Dodge Monaco 500: Beverly

I wish it were her original carter... but you can't see the friggin thing from the drivers seat!

IMG_2708.JPG

There's some god damned Zen about routing your own wires... I seriously missed the smell of new Taylor wires..
Basically it's just drop the tank and flush or replace, give her her fluids and fire away now!
IMG_2713.JPG

Wow! She's coming along nicely. Never heard of Taylor wires.. curious as to what spark plugs you're using?

Last edited:
Wow! She's coming along nicely. Never heard of Taylor wires.. curious as to what spark plugs you're using?
I actually had a spare kit from my old Monaco (the stuff I hung onto for 14 years! I shoulda hung on to the whole car!) so on they went. They're Taylor Spira Pro 8mm wires but I'm just running the Autolite P-85s that were in it when I got it. They were a little dirty from running crap gas really rich for too long but cleaned right up. One of them had a serious gap issue, I think the PO dropped it and didn't think to check the gap before installing it so I re gapped it and checked the insulator .. everything looks fine.
I used to run Bosch Platinum Plus 4s in my 68 Monaco but .. I don't know, seems like a bunch of hogwash to me now.

I actually had a spare kit from my old Monaco (the stuff I hung onto for 14 years! I shoulda hung on to the whole car!) so on they went. They're Taylor Spira Pro 8mm wires but I'm just running the Autolite P-85s that were in it when I got it. They were a little dirty from running crap gas really rich for too long but cleaned right up. One of them had a serious gap issue, I think the PO dropped it and didn't think to check the gap before installing it so I re gapped it and checked the insulator .. everything looks fine.
I used to run Bosch Platinum Plus 4s in my 68 Monaco but .. I don't know, seems like a bunch of hogwash to me now.
The P85 is the autolite AP85 Platinum, right?

Good quality wires seem worth the premium price. Spark plugs, idk.. I think you're right to call hogwash on triple platinum at $5 each.. I'm considering vintage factory sealed NOS Champion J-13Y, as per my FSM specs, and really wonder if any serious improvements have been made since they were produced.. a set of 8 on ebay for the same price as 8 new Autolite AP85s.

Start up date for Bev looking close.

The P85 is the autolite AP85 Platinum, right?

Good quality wires seem worth the premium price. Spark plugs, idk.. I think you're right to call hogwash on triple platinum at $5 each.. I'm considering vintage factory sealed NOS Champion J-13Y, as per my FSM specs, and really wonder if any serious improvements have been made since they were produced.. a set of 8 on ebay for the same price as 8 new Autolite AP85s.

Start up date for Bev looking close.
She's getting there! Big deal now is the tank. Not sure what to expect but the part of me that wants to remain fawn eyed say's there'll just be a lot of guck in there and little rust. .. the time and experience hardened guy says "just replace it, sight unseen."
We'll see!

IMG_2724.JPG
Drop'er proper. I'd be inclined to say that there is little wrong in the tank... tho it's not out yet and I've not looked inside, I jacked up Beverly's *** end and rank old has started pouring out the front end nearest to the fuel pump which means first off that there is a LOT of crappy old gas in that tank but secondly and more encouragingly that there isn't any blockage in the lines... hopefully that means that the tank is not full of sediment... more importantly, rust. If I can get all the gas out of it, hopefully I find out by tonight! Either way, nice to see this again!

IMG_2725.JPG

God damned old men and silicon! Knew I shouldn't have picked at that! Oh well. Had to pull the rear window anyway.

IMG_2731.JPG
IMG_2728.JPG
There was a little more crap that I thought. After getting all the bad fuel out, I gave a quick acetone rinse which loosened up a bunch of black particles which, after drying, turned out to be rust. Not much pitting shows in the interior surfaces but with that much crap in there, I'm leaning towards replacement. Just doesn't make sense to risk NOT doing so.
Anyway, still on schedule for fire next weekend!

I don't know man. I'd just replace it. I had to keep my fingers crossed that a 67 tank fit my 66 300 (which it did.) I'd venture to say the spectra CR20B would fit right in. I could be wrong on the model number.

Back