GJS's 1967 Dodge Monaco 500: Beverly

A couple hunnerd dollars now, may save heartache down the road...

and you still have a tank to clean if you want to gain knowledge

two_cents_kent brockman.jpg

Tank looks fine, as long as there are no thin spots from rust I'd have it lined and put it back.

I don't know man. I'd just replace it. I had to keep my fingers crossed that a 67 tank fit my 66 300 (which it did.) I'd venture to say the spectra CR20B would fit right in. I could be wrong on the model number.
That's the right part #. The B is the 2 vent model which is just what the Dr. ordered.

Tank looks fine, as long as there are no thin spots from rust I'd have it lined and put it back.
I don't believe there is any pitting at all really. The rust that is there is super fine, just clumped together from sitting. I'll give a look around and see who services in my area but may order a new one just in case .. it's more just wanting to have her running again sooner than later so if I can get the old tank serviced on short enough order, back in she goes.

I don't believe there is any pitting at all really. The rust that is there is super fine, just clumped together from sitting. I'll give a look around and see who services in my area but may order a new one just in case .. it's more just wanting to have her running again sooner than later so if I can get the old tank serviced on short enough order, back in she goes.

Just curious. . . What procedure did you use to remove the tank? Did you lay on the floor and drop the tank on your chest, use a floor jack and a piece of plywood, or. . . ?

Just curious. . . What procedure did you use to remove the tank? Did you lay on the floor and drop the tank on your chest, use a floor jack and a piece of plywood, or. . . ?
Wood and Jack. It's easier to get the filler neck out of the tank with the straps off, the filler neck brace unbolted and from behind. I couldn't figure out how I'd have gotten it out otherwise.

I also tend to not be underneath a car if I don't absolutely have to esp as I have no fancy schmancy lift. This way, I was able to lower and maneuver it out of there with the jack rather than slithering around on my back.

Wood and Jack. It's easier to get the filler neck out of the tank with the straps off, the filler neck brace unbolted and from behind. I couldn't figure out how I'd have gotten it out otherwise.

I also tend to not be underneath a car if I don't absolutely have to esp as I have no fancy schmancy lift. This way, I was able to lower and maneuver it out of there with the jack rather than slithering around on my back.

Thanks a lot. I'm interested in what you did, because I'm getting ready to do the same maneuver with a new tank I had installed last year. Its leaking when the car is parked on a nose-down incline. We have messed with the big o-ring seal, checked the vent lines/hoses and everything else short of removing the tank altogether. Very discouraging. . . I think I may have a hole in the tank somewhere, and the only way its gonna get fixed is to remove the tank and start all over. Crap!

Thanks a lot. I'm interested in what you did, because I'm getting ready to do the same maneuver with a new tank I had installed last year. Its leaking when the car is parked on a nose-down incline. We have messed with the big o-ring seal, checked the vent lines/hoses and everything else short of removing the tank altogether. Very discouraging. . . I think I may have a hole in the tank somewhere, and the only way its gonna get fixed is to remove the tank and start all over. Crap!
Unfortunately that the only way! Honestly tho, the biggest PITA about it was that there was WAY more gas in the car than I expected. Once that was gone it all went pretty quickly ... er .. ask me that again after I put the tank back in. .. I will likely have changed my tune!

Unfortunately that the only way! Honestly tho, the biggest PITA about it was that there was WAY more gas in the car than I expected. Once that was gone it all went pretty quickly ... er .. ask me that again after I put the tank back in. .. I will likely have changed my tune!

I have siphoned most all the gas out of my tank, but I bet - like you - there is gonna be more gas still left in the tank than I expect.

I have siphoned most all the gas out of my tank, but I bet - like you - there is gonna be more gas still left in the tank than I expect.
There will be some but not enough to make it super heavy .. more that when you are balancing it on the jack it will slosh around and make it a little bit of a balancing act is all.

ALRIGHT. Tank is at the rad shop getting boiled. I just don't have the scratch for a new tank right now. Waiting on a filler grommet in the mail

Need:
A few more bits of hose for the vents
Oil
Gas
Antifreeze
Plugs (decided just to replace them)

Plan is to get everything put together this weekend, Buy all consumables next week, fire on the weekend then take my birthday off on the 15th and spend it at the god damned DMV. That way I can have a wonderful Birthday night driving around slowly with a tool kit and a timing light!!! WHO NEEDS A DAMNED CAKE?!

Gavin, do you need the locking ring?

I have a bunch of NOS ones (it's for a b-body, but I think they are the same-somebody please correct me if im wrong), if you want one, it's yours, just pay shipping.

Gavin, do you need the locking ring for the sending unit?

I have a bunch of NOS ones (it's for a b-body, but I think they are the same-somebody please correct me if im wrong), if you want one, it's yours, just pay shipping.
Thanks, man but I already grabbed all that.
Only thing I ain't got for the tank itself is liner...
Speaking of which, any suggestions on what works well?

The guys at the radiator shop can probably line the tank for you.
Well, apparently lining is not needed. He say's theres no pitting and everything is good and clean now. .. still gonna run a double filter for a while!

You lucked out with the tank :thumbsup:.
I lucked out with the car, really. Aside from the previously mentioned issue involving the previous owner, a rear window leak and a tube of clear silicon, I have yet to find a spot of rust worth mentioning.
................... Note: I've not pulled the trim off the rockers yet ........................

So that's about that. She goes back in, gets plumbed up and I spend the next week figuring out how I can afford gas and oil and antifreeze and plugs. Next weekend she goes. Beverly will make her first voyage as a decently running car in many year. Keep dem fingers crossed fellaz!
IMG_2735.JPG

Back