GJS's 1967 Dodge Monaco 500: Beverly

I'm usually better with pictures but last night was kind of a spur of the moment deal and by the time I got done messing about, it was too dark and too late to take any suitable shots. I figure the story is miraculous enough for the time being.

It's been slow to no go with Bev as of late. The house, the job, the dogs, the "other projects" and the better half have been getting the majority of my attention. Anyway, the devil got in me around 10 PM last night and I went out to visit Bev in the garage. I didn't want to start her as it was late and she'd only be able to run for a short time so I just started looking at stuff.

A while back when I was still on Facebook, I nabbed some needed parts off a 67 in the woods, I think it was in PA. For 30 bucks I grabbed the stainless trim for the lip of the hood (a little bent but in better shape than mine) and both tail light buckets with lenses. The tail lights were a gamble but for 25 for the pair, screw it. I figured if they were absolute toast, I'd wire em up for wall art. When I got them they we're caked in mud and algae. The chrome was pretty bad, they we're missing the inner trim ring and one of the mounting studs was ripped out of the housing. Honestly, I didn't really give them a second thought and just sort of shelved them.

Last night, I grabbed a screw driver and took them apart, soaked them in some simple green, scrubbed the crap off of them and MAN they cleaned up! Very little checking and only one straight up crack which resides way to the outside left of the drivers lens right near the edge.

My originals, by contrast, the passenger side has had a massive hole patched smack in the middle of the lens. The drivers side had someone rest a burning cigarette in it. Both have extensive heat and stress fracturing. What they do have are intact inner chrome rings .. which are pretty close to coming off as it is. So for 25 bucks and some elbow grease, I should have a presentable set of tail lights which is a miracle in and of itself.

This weekend I'm off to get her front bumper. I'll have to graft my bumperettes on to that and see if I can't straighten a minor, shallow dent but again, leaps and bounds better than whats on there. Anyway, still a lot of other stuff to do until Bev hits the road for the year.. Hoping to have her registered before the beginning of August.

I'll put some photos up soon!

I'm usually better with pictures but last night was kind of a spur of the moment deal and by the time I got done messing about, it was too dark and too late to take any suitable shots. I figure the story is miraculous enough for the time being.

It's been slow to no go with Bev as of late. The house, the job, the dogs, the "other projects" and the better half have been getting the majority of my attention. Anyway, the devil got in me around 10 PM last night and I went out to visit Bev in the garage. I didn't want to start her as it was late and she'd only be able to run for a short time so I just started looking at stuff.

A while back when I was still on Facebook, I nabbed some needed parts off a 67 in the woods, I think it was in PA. For 30 bucks I grabbed the stainless trim for the lip of the hood (a little bent but in better shape than mine) and both tail light buckets with lenses. The tail lights were a gamble but for 25 for the pair, screw it. I figured if they were absolute toast, I'd wire em up for wall art. When I got them they we're caked in mud and algae. The chrome was pretty bad, they we're missing the inner trim ring and one of the mounting studs was ripped out of the housing. Honestly, I didn't really give them a second thought and just sort of shelved them.

Last night, I grabbed a screw driver and took them apart, soaked them in some simple green, scrubbed the crap off of them and MAN they cleaned up! Very little checking and only one straight up crack which resides way to the outside left of the drivers lens right near the edge.

My originals, by contrast, the passenger side has had a massive hole patched smack in the middle of the lens. The drivers side had someone rest a burning cigarette in it. Both have extensive heat and stress fracturing. What they do have are intact inner chrome rings .. which are pretty close to coming off as it is. So for 25 bucks and some elbow grease, I should have a presentable set of tail lights which is a miracle in and of itself.

This weekend I'm off to get her front bumper. I'll have to graft my bumperettes on to that and see if I can't straighten a minor, shallow dent but again, leaps and bounds better than whats on there. Anyway, still a lot of other stuff to do until Bev hits the road for the year.. Hoping to have her registered before the beginning of August.

I'll put some photos up soon!
Get it in gear and you could have her going by PA in July... :lol:

Money just keeps going away so I went against my "carpenter rules" and took on a job that would otherwise be a no quote. That rule is that if it is intricate, of wood and it's been painted, I do not make it my business to strip and refinish it natural.... it's just too frustrating a PITA for me.
Anyway, an older client really loved this old, fir, frame and panel front door she had that had been done in Hunter Green latex and I figured I'd tackle it for Bev.
So next Thursday she gets properly tagged and insured and I still have the best part of summer and fall to take her to the street (after a good cleaning and replacement of the hub caps).
IMG_3129.JPG
IMG_3130.JPG

These are the aforementioned 25$ tail lenses I got a while back. As you can see, I'll have to graft the chrome rings off her original ones and do a little polishing but a hell of an improvement for 25 bucks.
IMG_3131.JPG
IMG_3132.JPG

No poorly fixed crack:
IMG_3134.JPG
IMG_3135.JPG

No cigarette burn
IMG_3136.JPG

Probably not the most important thing I have to do to her but you take what you can get.

Fully legal. Put wheel covers and a crisp 10 miles on her today. Lots to do but man, what a friggin feeling! TOALLY worth the 4 hours at the DMV.

Gonna scrounge for a cruise night tomorrow after a nice bath.
IMG_3149.JPG
IMG_3150.JPG

PS: @FURYGT , stable ammeter and lights. Thanks, man!

Gotta bypass that ammeter but stuff looks pretty good for the moment.

Looking forward to seeing her. Going to pretty darn hot this weekend for a cruise night.
4 windows plus 2 smokers vents plus 2 floor vents = never too hot for me!
(Plus my AC works for whatever reason!?!?)

Fully legal. Put wheel covers and a crisp 10 miles on her today. Lots to do but man, what a friggin feeling! TOALLY worth the 4 hours at the DMV.

Gonna scrounge for a cruise night tomorrow after a nice bath.
View attachment 194786 View attachment 194787

Awesome Gav! :thumbsup:

Now after you give her a bath, dont forget to take a picture. and make sure you get the hose in the shot! :lol:

Can't complain about that! Good 50 miles today all told, max speed of 75. Only real issues are still the damned oil leaking out the breather cap, ATF leaking out the trans (still haven't located that), I've still got some tuning to do (still just feels underpowered at initial stages of launch. Peps up around 2000. Lopes nicely in drive at a stop but is kinda sputtery and stupid in park once warmed up. Also pretty touchy to start when warm.) and there's a lil knock when making an "aggressive" left turn coming from the right side suspension somewhere.
Otherwise here she is, nice and clean.. and no hose.
IMG_3152.JPG

Love Love your car. but I just have to ask how one spends 4 hours at the DMV. I lost my title to my droptop and when I went to go get a new one I thought it was going to be a total fiasco but all I had to do was fill out 1 form provide a valid ID and 20 minutes later I was walking out with new title and new registration in hand. But I just had to ask and keep up the good work as it gives me inspiration to keep going on mine.

Last edited:
Love your car. but I just have to ask how one spends 4 hours at the DMV. I lost my title to my droptop and when I went to go get a new one I thought it was going to be a total fiasco but all I had to do was fill out 1 form provide a valid ID and 20 minutes later I
Welcome to Connecticut.
All I know is that I got in a half hour line to get a ticket to get in another half hour line where they checked to make sure I had all my documents so that I'd be ok to wait 2 hours in the waiting room for my number to be called when the entire state computer system crashed (apparently for the 3rd time this week) right after my payment went through but before they could finalize and print my registration.

Well I guess we shouldn't complain here in the flatlands about our DMV but hey maybe I just might get lucky the times I do go to our DMV LOL !!!

Love Love your car. but I just have to ask how one spends 4 hours at the DMV. I lost my title to my droptop and when I went to go get a new one I thought it was going to be a total fiasco but all I had to do was fill out 1 form provide a valid ID and 20 minutes later I was walking out with new title and new registration in hand. But I just had to ask and keep up the good work as it gives me inspiration to keep going on mine.

Yup, that is good old Connecticut. The state where the DMV SUCKS Big Time and every time they try to improve it they screw things up even worse.:BangHead:

Yup, that is good old Connecticut. The state where the DMV SUCKS Big Time and every time they try to improve it they screw things up even worse.:BangHead:
A beautiful state. Just can't seem to get it together.

Now that’s a quarter panel. I can just imagine dad figuring out how they’re going to punch that thing out of a flat sheet. Gorgeous car!

Back