GJS's 1967 Dodge Monaco 500: Beverly

LOL When/if I make it to 70, Ill have one of my nephews doin the wrenchin fer me.
I don't want to be wrenching when I'm 70, I want to be able to pick a car, grab the keys, and go driving! I think I'll only have one or two cars fully restored, the rest will remain scruffy.

Alright. I wouldn't say she's 'responsive' but then who would say that about a C Body?

She tracks along straight, locks in at center in a way she never did while I've owned her. Only thing is that even after bleeding, she chirps a lot at low RPM. This was happeneing before as well but usually towards the stop. Not sure if this is a dying pump or if my idle is too low when in gear. Honestly, I'd prefer it was the pump as I've replaced everything else and the excuse to do the pump too would be welcomed.
Either way, I'll keep her close to home for the next little while. After that, it's foliage (the New England celebration of the DEATH of summer) time. Gotta get a few miles on with her before the salt hits the road!
IMG_3305.JPG
IMG_3306.JPG

I just finished reading this string beginning to end, what a story! It has all the elements - highs, lows, suspense - I love it!

Seriously, what you've done is inspirational, at least to me. It's great to see your Polara come back to life, one step at a time. Really appreciate you sharing your journey with us!

I just finished reading this string beginning to end, what a story! It has all the elements - highs, lows, suspense - I love it!

Seriously, what you've done is inspirational, at least to me. It's great to see your Polara come back to life, one step at a time. Really appreciate you sharing your journey with us!

Thanks, man! I feel like a hack compared to a lot of the fellows up here. Some serious individuals on this board.

I think the best part of owning this particular car has been learning to get off my own back. She's not a daily driver (unlike my first Monaco) so theres really no stress other than what I create. She's had a lot of issues and some really feel beyond my capabilities but sh**, If I have to get a professional to take care of the stuff I can't (mostly body), I'll figure it out. .. She's worth it.

What are you planning regarding the wheels? those slightly rusty steelies do not make justice for the paint.

What are you planning regarding the wheels? those slightly rusty steelies do not make justice for the paint.
The wheel covers are off as I'd done the wheel bearings. I'm actually quite partial to the wheel covers (though they need a going over) but I'd really like 15" wheels. I'll either get a good set of 15" steelies and have them adapted to accept the stock wheel covers or I may go with magnums once the tires run down.

For now I haven't made it that far. I've been preoccupied with making it road worthy which it just barely is now. Big items are going to be basically the rest of the suspension (front and back) and the transmission leaks like crazy. There's also a very dry sound in the back end. I can't quite tell if it's a bearing or a U joint but since I'll have to have the tranny done I'll get into that at the same time. Hoping for pre spring 2019 on all that.

The engine is still strong though I'm pretty sure I have a valve cover leak that I've been mistaking for blow by out the breather (really hoping I'm right on that).

Which brings me to the body, ive still got to get the cowl vent and fenders off and clean the drain, there's some spots in the fire wall that need looking after. There's also spots in the trunk but not too much point in getting into that until the really ugly stuff around the rear window is dealt with. I'm only really going to know the extent of that once the interior is out. Floors are still a question but I'm certain they're no worse than the trunk.

Problem is that I've seen just enough to know that it's entirely doable but that there is a lot and while a large part of me wants to pick at it and drive in the summer, she's begging for a full restore. Just gotta get my a** off the fence on that one!

That sounds like a good plan! I`d recommend the Magnum 500s measuring 15´´ in diameter but it´s only my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Keep at it!! Took me 12 years to finish my C.
The Magnum 500's are pretty but tough to get a good balance out of them.
As an alternative go with the optional 15 inch disc brake wheel covers over 5th Ave/Diplomat 15 x 7 steel wheels.
1968-1969-Dodge-Charger-Coronet-15-Inch-Wheel.jpg

Figured out how to get some money together. Spent a few weeks poking around the classified to see what was out there and messing with Bev a bit. The options are pretty simple, with this dough I can either buy another driver or fix my 67 properly... so with that, I'm putting enough together to do the entire suspension and brakes over, front and back... might even be able to put together enough to get the transmission and rear end built

I've decided to purchase my own parts but to have the work done at a shop as I really want to drive next spring. If I do it myself, I can write off most of the winter due to cold which means I'd start the rebuild right about the time outside chores would be starting at the house which consumes WAY more time than I had thought before this summer... so screw it, right? Get good parts, take it to a reputable shop and get er done.

I guess I have way more a soft spot for this particular ride than I figured. Nothing else seems to add up but having her be safe while I pick away at other stuff. Time to cough up some coin.

I just ordered so much stuff. ... sick, man.
Full suspension rebuild (front to back) and full brake job (if theres enough left, a trans and rear end rebuild) coming soon.

No problem. Just go get a bottle of propane and a torpedo heater, and yer good to go.
Hmmm .. I was thinking an old 55 gallon drum full of burning garbage and some fingerless gloves .. nice big bottle o hooch.
You're probably right tho.

Back