Glove Box Lock

Ghostultramarine

Reaction score
My glove box lock does not have the catch springing back up readily.

I dismantled it as it was not working properly - someone had it apart previously and had assembled it incorrectly.

I cleaned the parts and reassembled it but it appears the spring is not strong enough to push the catch up when the button is completely pressed.

I took it to a local locksmith thinking they could help but I had to explain to the clerk how it worked and he could only find a spring that was too big.

Is there a size of spring to order? Does anyone have experience with this?

That's what I was thinking.

Here is a picture. That spring looks a little weak - I have no idea if it is the original or not.

gloveboxlockspring.jpg

A few years back, the glove box door on my Diplomat wasn't closing all the way. What I did NOT notice was that the light inside the glove box was staying on..... Well...… 10 days later the battery was dead-er than the proverbial doornail. We found / installed a replacement lock for it. Good luck. So...… in addition to taking it apart, make sure that light (if it works) isn't staying on as well...…

I cleaned the parts and reassembled it but it appears the spring is not strong enough to push the catch up when the button is completely pressed.

After reading this like 4 times, you have this backwards. Pushing the button depresses the latch to open the door, unless you have the Retarded Polish model latch?? Good Luck

You did not read it wrong.

The problem is when the button is pushed, the catch/latch will not spring back up.

If the button is only pushed part of the way in, then the spring will push the catch/latch up.

I see a lot of spots on the rear of the latch pin that could make it hang up. Try sanding both sides smooth, and cover it with grease.

The problem is when the button is pushed, the catch/latch will not spring back up.

If the button is only pushed part of the way in, then the spring will push the catch/latch up.

For starters, what the hell are you working on? On every older Mopar I've seen, when the catch is in the up position and the button extended, it's in the locked/catch position! [door closed and latched] Pushing the button retracts the latch from the catch to allow opening the door.

Thank you the link!

A trip to a different locksmith, $10 later and it’s close to good as new; it now works well. (A new spring, some filing, some lubricant.)

Back