Going Down?

from the paint to the wheels and tires to the lowering I think your car is absolutely beautiful I love it

have you driven it much yet this year? how is the EFI working out?
I have driven it very little because it runs like ****.

I had an epiphany though & I think the problem might be the air cleaner. I'm guessing that EFI isn't intended to breathe through a tiny little hole. Gonna take that pig off & do some testing real soon. Been busy with work & the Polara though...

Yes, AFR readings show everything to be in order but it is spitting fuel. If starving for air isn't the problem then I'll move to the next thing. I have a plan to hunt down the problem & solve it but I just haven't had time.

I need a better definition of "it is spitting fuel".
I know didley about aftermarket FI systems. Only what I learned on my Vettes (See? Some good did come from owning them :D ). I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the gasping for air will absolutely show up on your AFR.
I also can't understand why it's not "learning" your engine but again, that's an aftermarket thingie.
You're using a FAST system, right?
I'd start with the fuel line system
Where is your pump. How many ports on your fuel take? Vented or unvented cap? Properly plumbed with a return line to the correct port on the tank?

It is literally spitting fuel. You can put your hand behind the tailpipe and it will get wet. The computer shows the AFR as being right where it should be. The fuel pump is inline & I used the charcoal canister port for the return line.

Stupid question but your sure it's fuel and not just water(condensation), whats the fuel pressure at? does it use a wide band o2 sensor? if it's pig rich it should show up in AFR, I don't know how much info the fast computer displays but does it give you st and lt fuel trim no's this gives a better understanding of what the computer is doing as far as rich-lean fuel trim

That's what I was going to suggest. In an ideal environment when you combine a hydrocarbon with oxygen, you get water and CO2 out. If you're getting gas out the back, I'd guess you would also get some big backfires.

Here's the kicker: It ran like this with the stock carb and with the Eddie and with the EFI.

It runs & smells like it's super fat. It's definitely spitting water but there's fuel in it.

I'm gonna pull plugs & check compression next but I'm wide open to suggestions.

Maybe the car just needs a long highway trip with a wide open throttle run to burn off the moisture from sitting......... Even with fuel injection your engine can produce sludge from not getting a full warm up/burn off. Take out for at least 20 miles and really open up. Just my 2 cents.

I am very interested (as are others, I imagine) to continue to hear "real life" feedback on how the FAST EFI works out. I am not surprised about the teething problems, and I am confident that you will work them out. Some detailed updates on what you did to get it right would be much appreciated.

Right now I'm glad I kept my TQs, they've continued to be great this summer cruising season.

By the way, how does the FAST sound at WOT? One of the reasons I keep my TQs is the sound they make.

Right now I'm glad I kept my TQs, they've continued to be great this summer cruising season..
I went by my motto "stock is best".
I spent a TON(!!) of money on my TQ and hours and hours of "tuning" it. Finally got it to run right.
But only for a little while.
I couldn't take it any more.
Threw on an Edelbrock right out of the box Thursday. Started it up. Ran like a swiss watch. Never turned a screw on it.
I was shocked and also very disappointed in myself for many reasons. I couldn't fix that POS TQ and I resorted to the easiest way out and it worked...:BangHead:

Here's the kicker: It ran like this with the stock carb and with the Eddie and with the EFI.

It runs & smells like it's super fat. It's definitely spitting water but there's fuel in it.

I'm gonna pull plugs & check compression next but I'm wide open to suggestions.

Water coming out of the tail pipe of a car is normal. Since water is a by product of the combustion process.

A compression test is order. Which you're going to do. Then check and make sure your ignition system is up to snuff. Lastly will be fuel. Do you have a fuel pressure regulator on the car? If not you may want to install one so you can rule out too high or too low fuel pressure. Since it runs basically the same with stock carb, an Eddie and EFI. They aren't the cause. But something common to all 3.

Lack of use........ Short trip driving.

Water coming out of the tail pipe of a car is normal. Since water is a by product of the combustion process.

A compression test is order. Which you're going to do. Then check and make sure your ignition system is up to snuff. Lastly will be fuel. Do you have a fuel pressure regulator on the car? If not you may want to install one so you can rule out too high or too low fuel pressure. Since it runs basically the same with stock carb, an Eddie and EFI. They aren't the cause. But something common to all 3.

Back