Going Down?

Dammit, I just lost two paragraphs. OK, condensed re-type: Thanks for the comments & suggestions.

I do have a regulator & gauge. It's set at 50 PSI or something like that.

I've also done a decent amount of highway driving & it'll go down the road. It just idles like crap & I know it should have more balls.

Pulling plugs next but I'm busy with the Polara & work so the big girl is gonna have to wait a minute for some love.

Not to continue beating the leaking exhaust valve/s horse, but if that were the case the air/fuel mixture pushed through the exhaust valve during the compression stroke would account for the gas. Also the oxygen rich air in the exhaust would be detected by the O2 sensor and would be interpreted by the computer as a lean condition, adding more injector timing, compounding the problem. You are on the right track with the compression check, good place to start! Still just guessing though...

How old is the fuel you are running? If it's been a while since you bought gas it could be poor quality fuel.

Dammit, I just lost two paragraphs. OK, condensed re-type: Thanks for the comments & suggestions.

I do have a regulator & gauge. It's set at 50 PSI or something like that.

I've also done a decent amount of highway driving & it'll go down the road. It just idles like crap & I know it should have more balls.

Pulling plugs next but I'm busy with the Polara & work so the big girl is gonna have to wait a minute for some love.

Fuel is fresh 93 octane. I guess it's possible that there's some old sludge in the tank. Assuming that were true, what's the remedy?

Run it all the way out. Keep a can in the trunk. Or burn some good cleaner through the car seafoam ect and see if that clears out the rough idle.

Fuel is fresh 93 octane. I guess it's possible that there's some old sludge in the tank. Assuming that were true, what's the remedy?

Well, my suspicion was correct, the car runs great with no air cleaner & gets completely choked out when I put it on. I cut a hole in the top of the pie tin & put it on upside down as the bottom & then sandwiched a K&N filter in there. Also dumped a can of Seafoam in. Car ran just great on the highway & actually has some balls.

I had a ridiculous moment after I put the wrong air cleaner on the car & didn't notice that it made contact with the throttle linkage. I took her out on the road & went wide open throttle & she stuck wide open. Unlike the millions of toyota drivers, I put the car in neutral & killed the ignition while safely pulling over to the side of the road. Good way to get the blood pumping...

Unlike the millions of toyota drivers, I put the car in neutral & killed the ignition while safely pulling over to the side of the road. Good way to get the blood pumping...

Too funny, the Toyota comment, not the stuck throttle. It helps to have common sense unlike 3/4 of the driving public.

Congratulations on solving the problem. Excellent diagnosing. When is the Ram Air hood going on? Yah. I'd definitely do that!!

Posted via Topify on Android

glad you figured it out. we'll need pics of your hillbilly air cleaner setup when you figure it out.

I'll take a ride in it at the nats, you should have it running good by then, apparently I'll be bachelor at the nats wife staying home watch out might stay up till 9:30 haha.

Back