Going to look at an estate find 1969 Fury 3. Any way to tell the engine size if I’m not able to make the numbers out from the block?

tonyp25

Reaction score
I’m driving out there shortly. It’s a convertible and the lady selling it says she’s unsure of the engine. I did notice the speedometer only goes to 120…but I think I might be mistaken that a 383 or 440 used a different speedometer than the 318. If you have any tips let me know what else I could look for!

I was thinking too that the 318 likely came with a 2bbl but who knows what’s been done to it.

fifth digit of VIN will tell you what it was born with.

What's in it now may be more difficult (if numbers are obscured) . "big' vs "small" block usually easily indicated given distributor placement (front or back of engine). Other visual cues may help distinguish what flavor of small/big you have (my repertoire is limited on that - sorry).

dont think a '69 318 could be had with a factory 4V (I've only seen 2V's on 318s in that era that year) though later MY's had them, so if you encounter that it could be a retrofit - if so its pretty easy to find manifold casting # on one of the runners if its an OEM piece.

good luck.

source: 1969 Plymouth Vehicle Identification Numbers (vin)

1690400608065.png

Last edited:
fifth digiit of VIN will tell you what it was born with.

What's in it now may be more difficult. "big' vs "small" block easy given distributor placement. Other visulal cues may help distiquish what flavor of small/big you have.

good luck.

source: 1969 Plymouth Vehicle Identification Numbers (vin)

View attachment 608000
Thanks so much. Supposedly the car is all original. Said her fathers owned it his entire life but it has sat for the last 10 years. I should be able to get a good feel for how original but I greatly appreciate this! I have an A and B body but wouldn’t kill me to add a nice C body in my book.

A 140 Speedometer would only be in fleet cars (broadly speaking ). Engine size had no bearing on Speedometer numbers.

Furyus2 said.
"Mopar 350,361,383, and 400 were all "B" engines, or low deck. 413,426, and 440 were all "RB" meaning raised "B" engines, due to the taller blocks, requiring a different intake and distributor. There was also an " RB" 383, from the late 50's I think. Very few were made".

You can tell by looking if you look at some pictures.

Did you take any pictures?

Back