Gonna get dual exhaust on my 66 windsor...

25 years ago when I restored my coronet I had a local Mopar guy bend up the 2.25" dual exhaust because it was claimed he was the best and had been doing it since these cars were new! Back then I barely looked at the exhaust since I was more excited about just being able to drive the car. Well after fast forwarding to today after getting the car back after 20 years and lookng at things up on the lift I am horrified at the poor quality of the exhaust! There are some pinch bends that reduce the pipes down to probably only slightly bigger than 1.5" or so, hitting the frame rail on the driver side, almost hitting the gas tank on the passenger side, cheap exhaust hangers and a booger weld on the passenger side exhaust manifold flange almost an inch wide and deep!

Can't believe I spent money on this travesty and will be ordering one of the many mandrel bent kits out there and installing it myself.

I see that on mine. I got the car on a jackstand and the axle out right now but I will make a video soon

A decent set of aluminized 2.5 inch pipes, bent to OEM spec can still be got for less than $700. As soon as the primary school quarter ends, I plan to convert Trudy to dual pipes. I still have the set made for a '67 Newport which I installed to Mathilda 3 yrs ago, and they're very clean.

This is supposed to be 2.5 inch front to back. bottles are 2.5
I'm seeing lots I dont like and I'm missing drain plugs in the floor

DSC01135.JPGDSC01134.JPGDSC01133.JPGDSC01132.JPGDSC01131.JPGDSC01130.JPGDSC01128.JPGDSC01127.JPGDSC01126.JPG

DSC01091.JPG

Get a lawyer. You paid MONEY for that crap work? Don't feel too bad. If you hire a shop these daze, such Kwollittee is the rule. Swarms of sleazy operators get into the exhaust racket. Avoid them.

Get a lawyer. You paid MONEY for that crap work? Don't feel too bad. If you hire a shop these daze, such Kwollittee is the rule. Swarms of sleazy operators get into the exhaust racket. Avoid them.
for real? anyone else? I'm afraid to take it back.

I dunno - a lawyer for work of that value is pointless.

These days, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

You do have some options though:

If it's an independent shop, the speak to the owner and express your dissatisfaction. A social media campain might hurt them to the point of closing the bsiness, so don't go that far, especially if they're the only game in town for prebent exhaust and other minor work. Custom exhaust fabrication is a highly skilled trade, and perhaps the person in this situation shouldn't have done the work. If nothing happens, sadly, write it off and chalk it up to experience.

However, if it's a big chain, write a letter to their Customer Relations department and start a social media campain.

I did the latter with Honda Canada, and got satisfsction in hours.

I agree with Ross, go to the source first and see if they’ll honor the work and make it right… IF NOT! Then next level like shop Owner and so on..

One of the many issues with Custom work, their vision / version of “Custom” work necessarily isn’t Your Vision..

I agree with Ross.
me too. generally speaking, the shop owner, if he has any respect, wants to be the first to know if the customer has any issues. bad news travels fast and classic cars are rolling bill boards. every notices them everywhere they go, yours especially so with those glasspaks. be courteous though. assholes get shown the door real quick.

thanks for that. what are we looking at here? crap welds or not 2.5" pipe? those hangers he said were better than the clamp ones. I didnt agree but took his word for it.
he was very grouchy about things I asked and I wanted to email some shots of the exhaust you guys posted and mentioned the bend cards and it was all sour.
I should have just asked to leave but this was booked in advance and I just wanted to get the job done.

All the old school shops here from spring benders to radiators has turned tail and bailed or just plain retired I guess.
All under same name but not the same guy and it shows.

I had alot of loyalty to this place close to 20 years but that was the owner that retired recently.

Its a pretty miserable feeling I got and more offended than anything.

Craftsmen and mechanics are becoming rare. Replaced by "technicians"! (read: parts changers!) It is coming to the point where the hobbists are our best resource. That is why it is important to pass on the knowledge and skills we have gained from the "old guys". That is if anyone is interested in learning! FWIW! Lindsay

Sadly, another reason to buy from Waldron's or TTI - they use the bend cards and/or have created their own systems to consistently turn out a bolt on quality product. I'm sorry you have had to go through this.

I know that Midas Canada has the bend cards available. If there's a Midas near you, I can possibly arrange some help from Ontario.

Sorry you're not satisfied, but that is what I expect from exhaust shops. Why I stay away as much as possible.
In the shops eyes, the exhaust goes in one end and comes out the other end and no where in between. You asked for dual pipes and he gave you dual pipes, He is satisfied with his work and he wants money not praise. This is a very typical attitude in the trades or what ever these semi skilled labourers are.

I do my own pipe work, which goes easily when one has properly bent pipes to begin with. I ordered mine from some Canadian who sells decent wares on eBay. His stuff went in pretty easily, with the greatest obstacles being:

1.) I ordered a 1967 pipe set for a 1966 car. Not MUCH difference, but there are small ones.

2.) I very stupidly attempted the job during the worst of the summer heat here. When ambient temperatures exceed 100F in the shade, metal car bodies absorb plenty heat, and re-radiate it all too well. Consequently, I worked in a state bordering heat stroke. I made small mistakes in this intoxicated state.

With these facts in mind, I've opted to wait until at least mid-October before transferring my pipes from Mathilda's carcass to Gertrude. I look forward to reducing back pressure on my valves and power train, recalling how this very same block with worn out 516 heads pepped up a bit with the duals back in 2020. With these well turned 915 heads and the Edelbrock Performer carb, I anticipate Good Things from a dual exhaust system.

While the Poorly Endowed around here run their noisy, flatulent hot rod LS motors in everything from Vegas to dual axle Chebby Silver-doo-doos, all with minimal muffling, I commanded plenty Respect with a QUIET big block Mopar and still do. I admit to enjoying rolling up behind pedestrians with that nice little 383 gently purrrrrring, then tooting the horn!

Back