Gonna get dual exhaust on my 66 windsor...

No they aren't! Ya just gotta find 'em! I have two NOS sets of Walker Continental Blue Swingers in my stash - I grew up with those mufflers, and nothing sounds quite like them.

I bought them from this guy - he seems to have a stash of Continentals, such as this pair: PR NOS WALKER CONTINENTALS 1960-2 FORD 6 HOT ROD/RAT ROD | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

I see the shops have those flanges hanging on the wall...I should be good.
The factory bend card, thats good stuff

if the people at your exhaust shop have any skill, they won't need cards or anything else. they should have the flanges and gaskets. if you have an o.e. right side tailpipe on the car, they'll copy it in the size you want. for the left side, they copy it backwards. my '69 newport that i bent by sight in the early nineties.
exhaust 002.JPG
changed the mufflers recently
exhaust 003.JPG
exhaust 005.JPG

Cards reduce the potential for badly bent systems produced by those who, as you say, have no skill. Sadly, there are more of those out there than those with skill, due to the "here in 1/2 an hour from the warehouse" pre bent parts. Sadly, some places don't have anyone who can use the bender and it sits in the corner hathering dust.

Your system looks great (nice job!), but others may not have the skill or time to do it right.

Also - some OE intermediate pipes have flatted areas to clear things like the stub frame cross member where clearances are tight. Cards will indicate that, where someone could miss that if they're copying an already hand bent system, as well as copying earlier and poorly bent ill-fitting system...

Last edited:
those who, as you say, have no skill. Sadly, there are more of those out there than those with skill.

unfortunately, i have to agree with your entire post. in my day, i worked with the best and we did a lot. it's weird though. recently i showed a guy with no experience what so ever how to use my bender. he knocked out a system for his infinty like he'd been doing it all his life. our big cars are easy but those little cars can be a *****.

I hope my car has the spot for the pipe on both sides of the trans mount
It seems that my 67-300 does not have the radiused area for the pipe to pass(passenger side). What have people done in this case? I think Mother decided what will have duels and what will not before the cars were ever made.

Both my stub frames are radiussed on both sides... it would be fairly easy for a competant welder to mirror the recess you have on yours already...

Both side allow for exhaust pipes thankfully.
I went to book an appointment to get the exhaust done and I thought positive he said he had a mandel bender when I got the estimate and aparantly he does not.
So now I hunt

well the day is approaching. I set a date and asked again about a mandel bender and its a no go. crush bender only.
What do you guys think?
no shop for 60 miles has one

well the day is approaching. I set a date and asked again about a mandel bender and its a no go. crush bender only.
What do you guys think?
no shop for 60 miles has one
Mandrel or not, it all depends on how good the guy is fabricating the exhaust

It seems that my 67-300 does not have the radiused area for the pipe to pass(passenger side). What have people done in this case? I think Mother decided what will have duels and what will not before the cars were ever made.
I was wrong! Must have been thinking of my 66 Abody. Foot in mouth.

thanks for the reply,

That sounds great but the border and the robbery involved, shipping then labour to install is way too much for my budget. I got a custom exhaust shop here that will bend all the pipe, I'm probably going to get glasspacks on backwards in place of the mufflers.
I just want to make his job easier and have anything he needs. maybe the hangers and the rubbers would be useful.
I think I'll just get him to cut the stock pipes off close to the engine and then weld onto those...all the old timers around here are retired, I was lucky to get my radiator recored cause he retired the last few months too. There was a shop that had old stock of everything back to flatheads but he passed away and who knows where it all went.

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND your concerns with the environment you live in, as I dwell on the very south side of Toostoned AZ myself, and copped a nice deal on a 2.5" dual exhaust system for my '66, which I'm planning to put on our '68 now. The pipes are good Canadian steel, and it went on very easily. I got them from an eBay dealer for ~$400 all told. I still needed to buy a few hangers, and got those off Rock auto. The system bolted on easily. I do all that stuff myself, and if you can, you should too.

Here's a link to a set for a '66 by the same guys. I see they went up a little since I bought mine:

1966 CHRYSLER NEW YORKER, NEWPORT & 300 DUAL EXHAUST SYSTEM, ALUMINIZED | eBay

Back