Got my first classic car - 67 Sport Fury

I would go with a mini-starter. More cranking power and a lot smaller and easier to install. You can get one from AAP, AZ, NAPA if you want a new one or get from a junkyard.
x2. One of the best things I ever did going with a mini-starter. I know I've said it before, but I really miss the Chrysler starter sound. However, I've noticed the sound of the mini seems to get the attention of other car people at gas stations..they sometimes peek over to see where the sound was coming from.:headbang:

Welcome to the forum. Great car. I change to the mini starter and it works fantastic. Cranks way faster than my original. Keep up the good work, and post often.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I just bought a Summit racing mini-starter!

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I just bought a Summit racing mini-starter!

What did that set you back? By mini starter, we (well I anyway) are referring to the later model starters. Not the aftermarket high torque units built for high compression motors. Not that it won't work, but it might have been cheaper.

Welcome aboard. Nice ride! So what's the story about how you came by the car? From the pics of your gas line it doesn't appear to be exposed to excessive heat. When the 440 in the Monaco is hot I need to partly depress the gas pedal and it will fire up right away. Otherwise I'll be cranking all day. I remember it took some trial and error to figure that out.

Ah ok. I got it on eBay for $150. [h=1]Summit Racing Protorque Starter Mini Max 18.0:1 Compression 820337[/h]

I saw it on Craigslist about two weeks before I bought it. I had originally been looking for a 67 Cougar XR7, but really hard to find in price range. I wanted to go check it out but it was a long drive and a bit more than I wanted to spend. I actually saw it on eBay, two weeks later, and the day before the auction ended. The seller removed the reserve and I got it for half what was asked on Craigslist. I though it was really awesome that I happened to come across it again so randomly again and knew I had to have it. I guess It's Destiny, That's what I named her. I'm glad I did. She runs fantastic now, sounds amazing, is in overall great shape. She sat for 22 years in Arizona, so very little rust below the rear window is it. Only about 23k original miles.

Just wanted to share more pictures.

CAM00161.jpgCAM00163.jpg

CAM00161.jpg

CAM00163.jpg

Nice car!

welcome to the forum!

Is it running rich? That would explain the easy cold starts and hard warm starts.

Is choke sticking closed after warmup? Same symptoms as above.

Yes, it cranks just fine. Just takes it a while to start again after its hot. Cold starts in less than 2 seconds. I think the gas is getting too hot. Couldn't fit a spacer between carb and intake due to the passing spring would be at a bad angle.

From what you describe I suspect you could have fuel percolation going on. Those alum intakes while great, do get REAL hot if the heatcross over passages are not blocked off. Not that they don't get hot regardless but having exhaust gasses pumped into them really gets them toasty. Anyway, I digress. I know todays fuels are more oriented towards F.I. and less towards carbs and have read that as a result the perc problems seem to be a bit worse now-a-days than in the days of yor. Have a Dart that had the same problem and I ended up having to put a spacer in between the manifold and the carb. Know it isn't much but I hope that helps you in some way, shape or form.

:sSig_greetingsthor:........ :welcome:.... Thats a beautiful Sport Fury. It sounds like your going in the right direction with it..... Might want to rethink the headers though, not much advantage there.
I have the same hot start issue with my 300 sometimes. I think the gas has a lot to do with it because it can change from tank to tank.

Keep us imformed .....

Will.

:sSig_greetingsthor:........ :welcome:.... Thats a beautiful Sport Fury. It sounds like your going in the right direction with it..... Might want to rethink the headers though, not much advantage there.
I have the same hot start issue with my 300 sometimes. I think the gas has a lot to do with it because it can change from tank to tank.

Keep us imformed .....

Will.
Bingo. Crappy gasoline nowadays. My father-in law used to have a 68' 428 Merc Cougar, used to tell me stories about tanking up on Sunoco 102 High Octane gas back in the day.

Back