Hagerty;Imperial Dreams: Why Chrysler’s forgotten luxury brand couldn’t make it with the Sinatra set

BigblueC

Reaction score
This was in my Hagerty news email today. I haven't had time yet to read it, but I thought some of you guys would like to read it.

Imperial Dreams: Why Chrysler’s forgotten luxury brand couldn’t make it with the Sinatra set
Imperial Dreams: Why Chrysler's forgotten luxury brand couldn't make it with the Sinatra set
1957-Howard-Hughes-Imperial-Convertible-6-640x406.jpg

They mis-spelled Elwood Engel's last name. :( On the 1981 version, they fail to mention that part of the Imperial's failure then was due to the troublesome EFI system they installed on it.

Regarding selling them along-side lesser brands and the dealers not knowing how to treat potential Imperial buyers, I'm reminded of stories of the same problem with Corvettes being sold at Chevy dealers.

And today there are apparently common problems with parts availability for 7 year old cars. My brother is a mechanic at an independent shop. He tells me scary stories about cars where OEM parts have been discontinued, the aftermarket hasn't picked them up, and he has to try to make something work.

This was in my Hagerty news email today. I haven't had time yet to read it, but I thought some of you guys would like to read it.

Imperial Dreams: Why Chrysler’s forgotten luxury brand couldn’t make it with the Sinatra set
Imperial Dreams: Why Chrysler's forgotten luxury brand couldn't make it with the Sinatra set
View attachment 489931

Is Hagerty media some kind of on-line publication that is in addition to their Drivers Club Magazine? I wasn't aware of it at least.............................

Personally, I find the article to be more of a "puff piece" somewhat bereft of what really happened and oversimplifies the problems with the Imperial brand effort.

For one, Engle was not just "fired" like some incompetent loser or something, rather he realized that his health issues were serious and decided to retire and Chrysler kept him on as a consultant through 1963.

I find that their Drivers Club magazine editors are much more competent and much more certain of their facts than this particular writer. The Drivers Club magazine is staffed with many former Car & Driver magazine editors who are real pros in the field of automobiles.

Last edited:
I'd say this was written by a DH who disliked the brand, or cars in general... Hagerty should do better... they've featured all sorts of odd/failed cars without getting so negative. I continue to see more of this kind of writing in some of the magazines I pick up occasionally, and if they can't find a way to love the cars they write about a little, they should write about something else. I know the story is about the management, or mismanagement of the brand, but the reference to the cars produced show no love either.

There seems to be a lot of negativity in the press no matter where one turns these days. Also a lot of disagreement and animosity to go with it.

Maybe everyone is just worn out with covid or maybe we have lost our way in terms of what matters in life. It seems too many folks are in pursuit of money hoping that what it can buy will make them happy. That is rarely the outcome long term.

I can say with some confidence though that the articles from Hagerty in their Drivers Club magazine are pretty good overall and I have worked with one of the editors in putting together an article, Aaron Robinson, and he was really good. He really wanted to be sure he had his facts straight and that he understood everything we discussed and he put a positive spin on what was discussed. Aaron also called me up to help arrange a photo shoot in preparation for an article on Forward Look era cars. I did all I could to help him out. Good guy and passionate about automobiles of all types.

I'd say this was written by a DH who disliked the brand, or cars in general... Hagerty should do better... they've featured all sorts of odd/failed cars without getting so negative.
They really could've done so much more with this article. For a marque that was world renowned and used by world leaders, they really portrayed it as an absolute failure. Imperial was miles ahead of Lincoln or Cadillac in terms of technical innovation, style, and comfort. I think most journalists are either burnt out or under the impression that negativity sells. In this instance, Hagerty really missed the mark. On the other hand, maybe the flippers will see this article and be under the impression that no one will pay ridiculous prices for a car that no one likes. That scenario works for me!

I'm impressed by Hagerty overall, I just hope they don't continue to allow this kind of to recolor their publications... I've seen kinder write-ups done for Yugo.

Imperial was miles ahead of Lincoln or Cadillac in terms of technical innovation, style, and comfort.
Even the spruced K car model was given what they could (for better or worse), not that I loved anything about that Bosch brake system nightmare and I would agree it was allowing the name to finally die on a less than spectacular model. their was so much else the writer could have said that would have made this story more of a tragedy of a FINE car that wasn't as well presented to buyers as the competition... and IDK first hand how well the other brands separated their showrooms either. I'm imagining lincoln dealers with mercury P/Us and caddy dealers with oldsmobiles cluttering their lots... but I cannot speak to showroom layouts in this era.

Is Hagerty media some kind of on-line publication that is in addition to their Drivers Club Magazine?

I'm really not sure, but I think the on-line "Hagerty Media" is geared to be a daily push-type publication of generally short articles. I have noticed some "loose" facts in some articles, but I haven't paid it much thought just assuming it to be a haste issue. Not all of the daily articles catch my attention but there are some good/interesting ones now and then. I do appreciate that they are not just stuck to one theme/brand/etc. I have learned quite a bit about vehicles that I would have no interest in otherwise.

Here's two more that you guys might like, and likely have more knowledge about than I do.

Plymouth Belmont
Plymouth could have taken on the Corvette with the Belmont
1964 Satellite II Concept
Plymouth’s 1964 Satellite II concept survived a Michigan high school shop class

There seems to be a lot of negativity in the press no matter where one turns these days. Also a lot of disagreement and animosity to go with it.

Maybe everyone is just worn out with covid or maybe we have lost our way in terms of what matters in life. It seems too many folks are in pursuit of money hoping that what it can buy will make them happy. That is rarely the outcome long term.

I know that is off topic, but it's true, and it's sad. The vanity and anger of people today shows how lost we have become as a people. Personally I think it is by design and intention of the "few at the top" who can and will take advantage of the strife created (real or not). But that's another topic.

Back