Hard Starting When Warm

I invest in a qt. of acetone in the tank every six months.

I noticed my fuel is getting a brown coffee color to it.

I thought maybe for the price of non ethanol gas, they give you a couple squirts of mocha, kind of like a $4 coffee at Starbucks.

Is there a ratio you use of acetone/gasoline?

filter.jpg

You may or may not need a new carb, possibly rebuild your existing. You know heat is the issue so this leads me to believe that expansion or evaporation is the issue. If you think it's lack of fuel due to evaporation (or starvation) here's a little trick to verify. Buy a cheap can of starting fuel, duplicate your exact situation, then spray a bit down the carb. If it starts immediately and stalls, fuel never made it to the cylinders thus the carb is low in the fuel bowls or your vacuum is low or your fuel pump is at fault. Possibly a worn fuel pump rod. Timing could be at issue for low vacuum and if the carb bowls are empty, the carb has leaked down causing a rich state in the cylinders which is why you have to push the pedal when hot. In essence, when you push the pedal down you are allowing more air into the cylinders to put the air/fuel ratio in a more combustible ratio and bypassing the idle circuits in the carb. You should check the throttle blade's opening when static according to OEM specs (or whoever's carb you use ), block all vacuum feeds to the carb temporarily (power brake booster, PCV) to eliminate initial vacuum loss and retry the same way.There are other reasons for low vacuum including worn piston rings (low compression) poorly seated valves, worn valve train components and carbon build up. Know your vacuum at idle and with a proper vacuum gauge and it's use much can be revealed about the engine, timing etc. As far as the carb is concerned it would be great to have a loaner or spare for elimination purposes. Do a fuel pump volume test according to the service manual with the coil primary removed - a friend or remote start switch will be required to do this. Your results in these tests will surely point you in the right direction to remedy the situation.

Last edited:
I let my 68 Newport run for fifteen to twenty minutes yesterday in the driveway and then shut if off. When I tried to restart it, I had to depress accelerator to the floor before it would catch. Typically it will fire up quickly after two pumps when cold. So what would cause the hard starting when hot. Thanks in advance.

Was it a fairly warm day? Winter blend gas + a hot day = lots of fuel boiling in the carb, possibly even "percolating" into the intake manifold and flooding the engine. I hate winter-blend fuel... they deliberately put a lot of more volatile petroleum fractions in it so it vaporizes more easily. Too easily- my Polara tends to vapor-lock on it if you get a day above 80 during the season when its on sale, but won't vapor lock on summer fuel even in over-100 temps.

Contrary to popular belief, its not due to the ethanol in the blend. If anything, more ethanol would HELP because it is harder to boil than the light petroleum fractions in winter blend gasoline. You'll never vapor lock a car set up to run on E-85 (or get it to knock/ping, for that matter).

I'm currently running 5 c bodies and you know what? They all start differently! It's not the fuel. I burn the same thing in every one of them. They all have their idiosyncrasies. Live with it. All I can tell you, is that after I put the Eddy on my 67 440 Imperial, that cured the problem with fuel pouring down the secondaries. One down.
My 73 Imperial is the next one to get the Eddy. I made a decision on the 67 whether to buy a full blown kit to rebuild it for $100 or buy new for $295. The latter worked out beautifully for me. I just figured that I might waste a hundred bucks if it didn't work, then it would have cost me $395 plus my dumb *** time, and aggravation. I put the Eddy on in half an hour, and all I know is that the 67, hot or cold, starts perfectly even after this long winter and I can't be happier.

i've had this happen with my 71 fury with a stock 360, holly 2210 carb, found out it was the linkage for the choke pull off that needed to be adjusted. and fixed my issue

No room for a spacer. The stock air cleaner is too close to the hood as it is,but thanks for the suggestion. I'll start with some non ethanol fuel and see what the results are.

This heat shield will work. It's only an 1/8" thick. Will work with any carb.

Google

shopping

Back