has anyone driven a large distance?

You know your car better than any of us. You know what you have done to the engine drivetrain etc. The aforementioned list of spare parts and tools is a must. As for me, I don't think I've racked up 1000 miles over the last 6 years or so, just local cruising. The suspension, brakes and electrical are all good. I would need to do a timing chain, valve seals and a cooling system flush before I would even think about going on a long road trip. These cars of ours were made for the open road, that is where they are the most fun to drive.

I've driven my Imperial on several runs of 200 - 400 miles and had no issues. Would I take it on a 1,000-mile venture? Probably, with new tires. Mine have ten years on them, but maybe 4,000 miles on them.

Upcoming trip in my 67 Barracuda convertible. 2600 miles total and about 48 hours on the road total. I've done versions of this trip multiple times, more than once in pouring rain.
Oregon230909.jpg

Alan

I have driven classic Mopars many many times from LA to Toronto, San francisco to Toronto, Carlisle every year, Detroit, Watkins Glen, etc.... All in mine or cars I bought while out west. A good through check, replace repair what is needed and off I go. I will not road trip on off brand tires over 5 years old.

9 time Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler and a Nevada to North Carolina coast and back again.
Nothing better than doing it in a Classic Mopar.

Our cars as mentioned properly maintained are very reliable daily drivers back in the day. A good approach is do a thorough once over before leaving on any trip. I do. So far, my 69 300 vert has been to Chicago 7 times, Carlisle Pa 4 times, and Ocala Fl twice. Never once missed a beat. Good fuel mileage, little oil consumption, I can't complain and I'm still taking long trips.

20220625_060238.jpg

im just curios has anyone driven their car over a thousand miles without any problems?
i rebuilt engine and am anxious to take it on a long trip? crazy?
Brought a new 1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme and drove 6 miles when the engine overheated and locked up! That has to be some kind of record!

im just curios has anyone driven their car over a thousand miles without any problems?
i rebuilt engine and am anxious to take it on a long trip? crazy?
I live in southern MN. A friend of mine and I drove to Wyoming so he could look at a '67 Fury that "ran when parked several years ago". We drove there, made sure the brakes sort of worked, put his plates from a different '67 that were current, and took off for Minnesota. It got hot once, removed thermostat, and cruised home. Tires were old and dry rotted and no spare.

Id like to say we were young and stupid back then, but we were both in our early 40s. That was 7 or so yeas back.

I live in southern MN. A friend of mine and I drove to Wyoming so he could look at a '67 Fury that "ran when parked several years ago". We drove there, made sure the brakes sort of worked, put his plates from a different '67 that were current, and took off for Minnesota. It got hot once, removed thermostat, and cruised home. Tires were old and dry rotted and no spare.

Id like to say we were young and stupid back then, but we were both in our early 40s. That was 7 or so yeas back.
Roadkill episode right there!

Drove the 66 Fury from Moncton NB to Montana, into Alberta and back through Canada to Moncton. On the road 7 weeks. Ten states and five provinces. Hauling my 18 foot travel trailer. I did repair the Carter BBD at a picnic table due to a failing float valve and I adjusted the clutch once. I will head out wherever I want to go with it. As said before, know your car, carry a few basics and no worries. Now, if you head out in a "Modern" computrrized car, it better have a good warranty or be prepared for expenses!! (My prejudice is showing!)
Lindsay

My Imperial took a few long drives. I've done a ride from North Jersey to Atlantic City and to Wildwood before, no issues. When i first got it, the drive back was from Western Massachusetts to Jersey! I just make sure fluid levels are good before I go.

Hell, I'm crazy enough that I daily drive it and don't own any car newer than '88! (My fifth avenue, and that's been all over to)

Took a sight unseen 1970 Dart and drove it home from Portland to Chicago 2200 miles. It blew the head gasket in Montana and kept going.

I daily drove this little 440 barracuda. Also used it for several trips up and down the California coast. Unlike the big C-bodies, it only had a 15 gallon gas tank, so I had to stop frequently for fuel. Aside from that, it never skipped a beat and was one of the most reliable old cars I've ever owned.

1968 barracuda 176.JPG

PXL_20220612_203009883.jpg

Drove this one to Charleston S.C. in 6/'22
Put over 1900 miles in a week this past June on power tour. Numerous Carlisle, Nats, Norwalk, Dragway 42 and other stuff I've forgotten.
PXL_20230810_160310651.jpg

Finished this a couple days before this year's Mopar Nationals, in the wind, did fine till the ride home the rear end issues popped up after one too many burnouts on Saturday night.
This one will be doing power tour next year.

Back