Roof Rack for my 66

Ben Herman

Reaction score
Has anyone used any "universal" roof rack on your car? I have a 66 4 door sedan that I take on road trips and camping. I might end up carrying boxes up there at some point but I'm mostly interested in being able to mount a single large solar panel.

I'm not interested in anything that requires holes to be cut but all the clip style ones I've seen look likely wouldn't get along well with the gutters over the doors.

To solve my lack of storage with my 68 I installed a hitch and use a hitch hauler. I'm not looking to install a solar panel either though.

As far as the solar panel goes if you're going to drive with it installed you should make sure that it is very secure to keep it from flexing an breaking.

To solve my lack of storage with my 68 I installed a hitch and use a hitch hauler. I'm not looking to install a solar panel either though.

As far as the solar panel goes if you're going to drive with it installed you should make sure that it is very secure to keep it from flexing an breaking.
A hitch is on my list but I'm planning to wait till after subframe connectors for safety. I have a bad habit of testing the carrying capacity of things like that...

As far as panel mounting goes there are lots of options due to people putting them on their busses and RVs. I have a couple buses as well (since a C body just wasn't quite big enough), but haven't done solar on either yet.

Sweet patina has a few options of roof racks for classic cars

Back