Has anyone ever won a car show with their C body?

spstan

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, took my 1975 NY'er to a car show (around 200 participants). Came away with a participation award but no trophy. I'm starting to think the car is too generic -not special enough - to win a trophy. Has anyone ever won a car show with a NY'er or Imperial? Paul

Let’s face it, to most “car people” a 75 New Yorker isn’t that cool. Compared to all the other cars that you would see there.

Now that you got an award at a show with 200 cars then it must be a very nice car.

So would you vote for a 1975 Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac or Oldsmobile to win a car show?

Last edited:
I won once with my New Yorker and a door prize. Only probably because it was the only Sea Body there. One of the judges said his Dad had one like it when he was a kid and that he learned to drive in this same car. He even offered to buy it. Or trade it for a 74' Satellite.

20220807_162128.jpg

20220807_162114.jpg

Class awards are more possible, typically, due to the low number of such cars at any given car show. Winning a whole car show? There'll probably be a B-body with "wide valve covers" or 3 carburetors that'll capture everyones' fancy other than "a car like my grandparents had". Just the reality as I see it. Your experiences might be different.

In the later 1980s, I had had my '67 Newport long enough to get it spiffed up as good as I could. Had the orig vinyl roof scrubbed and coated in STP Son of a Gun protectant (satiny finish rather than the shine of Armorall), got the Turbine Bronze paint buffed and waxed nicely, plus all of the chrome. I'd spiffed the underhood, polishing the exposed metal a/c lines with red Scotchbrite to make them look nice, plus putting some satin black paint on the painted a/c lines. I had found a 1968 dual snorkel air cleaner, also nicely blacked and shined. I had put it in an indoor car show where we had a club display. So, it was pretty decent. Never got an award, but it was there "for the club".

When I'd take it to a local cruise spot, I'd park it in line with our other club members' cars. Hood up and all. I got lot of "My grandparents had a car like that" comments. I smiled and thanked them. Invariably, almost everybody would walk right past my car to head to the HEMI or 6-Pack cars in the line. So, at the time, I thought "I'm not going to the trouble to get the car out of the building to drive 2 miles and then 2 miles back. So, I just left it in the building, driving it when the mood happened. About the only place it "got any respect" was at our annual Mopar club shows, where people pretty much knew what they were looking at.

In this part of the world, Chryslers didn't get a lot of recognition in any show in the 1980s era. Even when our and other TX Mopar club people basically "grid locked" the judging lines at a big car show in Waco, one year.

In the end, though, the real joy or ownership is not specifically about how many pieces of "wood with plaques on them" which might be received at shows, but for the joy of the beauty of the cars, spiffed and shining in the sun, PLUS how great they drive on the road at speed.

Please your senses. IF others might notice and wave, wave back and smile. Driving these cars is the ultimate reward of ownership. Oh yeah, you'll have to "fix some things, too" . . . which can be ever more joy.

Take care,
CBODY67

Last edited:
I've won some class trophies and a top "50" trophy once.

You aren't going to wow anyone with a C body enough for the "best of show" award. In a mixed show, a GM will win. In a Mopar show, expect a B or e body to win. Often these cars are red too.

Remember, most shows have volunteer judges. Some know what they are looking at and some don't. Sometimes it's a "buddy system" too.

My advice is to go, have fun and don't worry about it. Back when I did a lot of shows with the Roadrunners I had, and I went home with trophies often enough, I discovered that a small sign that said "do not judge" in my windshield made all the difference. I had a lot more fun after that.

Unless it is a all Mopar show I doubt you would ever be a winner.
Most shows are very unfriendly to the Mopars. If you has a 55 chevy or camaro plus any mustang that's a different story.

A formal will stand very little chance of winning anything in a generic car event. It would absolutely take a class specific event like Carlisle to come away noticed.
My experiences had me frustrated like you. Time has taught me "who cares" if I won an award. It's a nice feeling but it'll be very infrequent in most C bodies let alone a Formal which seems to be the least desirable of the Cs.

Awards are for people who are concerned what others think of their car. I only care what I think of my car.

Awards are for people who are concerned what others think of their car. I only care what I think of my car.
I agree with this, but I do appreciate what other car people think. I'll still do it my way, and some will like it and some won't.

Keep the hood closed.
Keep the trunk lid slightly ajar for quick access to the cooler.
Do not display a model that kinda sorta looks similar to your car.
No storyboard that the car was bought by Dr. Fallon in 19xx and is one of 17 with the matching seat belts.
Do not display past trophies unless it was from Pebble Beach.
Don't try to sell the car in the display area. Put it in the car corral you C.B.
Just nod when somebody talks about their neighbor who had a 57 Fairlane just like your Chrysler.

And yes, I won a trophy. I didn't even know it was entered.

Trophies mean nothing to me. Yes, I've brought home a few of those gold plated plastic dust collectors and a few of those dash-plaques-attached-to-a-wooden-plaque "trophies" over the years. But I go to a car show to see the cars and to meet fellow enthusiasts and to hang out with friends. The ONLY time trophies mean anything, is if its an event with judging based on the correctness and originality of the car. An event like the shows at Pebble Beach and Amelia Island, or Hershey. In those cases, the trophies actually mean something. And, the make, model, color, and number of doors don't fit into the equation.

My boss has a 72 BMW 2002tii that he bought new. He has saved every part that was ever taken off the car and replaced in a box about the size of a shoe box. It might be the nicest original one in existence. He takes it to Concours events up and down the east coast. He never fails to bring home a trophy (often a custom made work of art in itself made of glass). Each award it receives adds to the prominence of the car and may actually add to it's value. But, to maintain a car in that condition means he can't drive it. It's trailered in an enclosed trailer even to local events. To drive it would risk the possibility of getting a stone chip on the hood. It only gets driven on and off the trailer and across a show field to the awards platform.

To me, I want to enjoy driving my cars. Having a car worthy of a MEANINGFUL trophy is not worth the inability to drive and enjoy the car. Anything less, and the trophy means nothing anyway.

My 1960 New Yorker has taken "Best Interior" and "Top 20" trophies. My patinated 1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer took one of the a "Spectators' Choice" trophies at a show I brought it to. It probably won because no one had ever seen one before! That said, no, none of my three C bodies have ever won the overall "Best" award. They present "as built," so there ain't $10 grand under the hood. Which is OK with me. My cars are the "best" I have in my garage!

Among the non-car people/general public; it is usually the finned, brightly colored 1950's showboats, 1960's muscle-cars, etc., well-known makes/models that get the attention, and I have always been OK with that.......

From time to time though, my otherwise non-descript '67 New Yorker gets SOME attention by virture of it being so original, and I have a few trophies, plaques, and my AACA "HPOF" badge up front........which DO look nice on display at shows.

My "reward" at going to car shows though, is to enjoy the ride, not being at my dreary office job, meeting some car people I hadn't met otherwise, and see some cars I wouldn't see otherwise. A little recognition IS nice, but I don't expect it by any means, which has kept me happy with it over the years.

The few car shows I attend are not for a trophy but to support a local charity, such as the Boy Scouts, local volunteer fire depts, VFW or American Legion. My car is far from concours and is probably closer to a level 3 car than a 2. But I did receive a 1st in show at a Boy Scout car show. LOL, while all the trailer queen guys sat there protecting their car in their chair with their big show board in front, one scout asked if he could sit in my car, sure I said, once he got in , his friends came over and loaded up the old vert front and back, taking turns behind the wheel, and were all takings pictures with their cell phones. I guess I got the trophy by allowing the scouts to really experience the car, not for its condition or coolness factor.

No storyboard that the car was bought by Dr. Fallon in 19xx
Dr Fallon had a Caddy Eldorado just like mine. We would talk about it just before he put his knee on my chest for leverage while he pulled a tooth or two. The guy had arms like Popeye. As have most of my dentists (and welding teachers) he passed away and while I have seen one or two of his kids for work, my "go to" for serious dental work is upstairs from his office and he drives a '65 Mustang that his Dad bought new.

Seriously.. There is a Fallon dentistry empire here in Syracuse. The whole fam damiy are dentists of some form.

I just found out that my eye surgeon has a collection of 8 Corvettes...

I probably got off subject...

Do not display past trophies unless it was from Pebble Beach.

I wanted to address this in a different, non-dental post.

I've helped judge a few car shows over the years. I tried to be fair and pick the best. I had to chose between two cars for a first place once... I went back and forth and back and forth. Both cars were really nice, and obviously better than the other cars there. I finally made the decision based on one guy having a trunk open displaying a bunch of trophies. He got second as I figured he'd gotten enough already. He also got really pissed, but that's another story...

but I do appreciate what other car people think.
I'm not against trophies, I just don't ever go to a show expecting to get one. All my rides are cars that have weathered the storm, not much shiney paint in the fleet, but even they get some love.

Back