Has anyone tried to steam clean their vinyl top?

Pros? Cons? Thinking about trying a portable home use steamer to get out the original vinyl tops on 2 of my C Body's looking better.
For years, I use RAGGTOP vinyl/convertible cleaner and protectorate. It's a 2 piece kit for around $35. The cleaner is amazing and the protectorate has UV coverage. I use it on my 71 Fury with the Paisley top and have been very satisfied. You can find it on Amazon. My top has looked like new ever since . Good Luck!

I met with @fury fan yesterday, and we discussed the best way to clean white vinyl on our cars.

I have had good experience with Star Brite -- it really helped clean up Medina, my 1971 Monaco. That was important, as the M6XW front seats were redone with original material and I wanted to get all the white hues to match. It worked very well on the V1W vinyl top, too (not the original vinyl, as a previous owner had replaced the top a few years before I bought the car).

@1970FuryConv posted a detailed review of the Star Brite products (heavy duty cleaner and polish) here.

@fury fan has a recommendation to get things back to WHITE, and I'll let him chime in.

Last edited:
20 years ago I had a buddy with white vinyl seats, he tried everything to get them clean with disappointing results. (new products may have usurped this, though)
Until one day he was bringing some GoJo hand cleaner home from the store. Apparently it leaked from the tub and left a clean spot on the seat.
I've used it on a number of things (vinyl top, dashpads, etc) with no issues.
Can't assert how well it works vs other stuff, nor if it has long-term side effects if you use it regularly. I'm not a chemist.
But it has lanolin, which is supposedly good for our skin, so seemingly would be good for vinyl products.

As with anything, test in an inconspicuous area.
And make sure to get the creamy *non-pumice* version.

20 years ago I had a buddy with white vinyl seats, he tried everything to get them clean with disappointing results. (new products may have usurped this, though)
Until one day he was bringing some GoJo hand cleaner home from the store. Apparently it leaked from the tub and left a clean spot on the seat.
I've used it on a number of things (vinyl top, dashpads, etc) with no issues.
Can't assert how well it works vs other stuff, nor if it has long-term side effects if you use it regularly. I'm not a chemist.
But it has lanolin, which is supposedly good for our skin, so seemingly would be good for vinyl products.

As with anything, test in an inconspicuous area.
And make sure to get the creamy *non-pumice* version.
That Gojo hand cleaner is really good for cleaning and softening up rubber seals too. Windshield gaskets on my mother's old 65 Belvedere never looked so good. Leaves them looking new, instead of shiny like most protectants

And speaking of rubber I bet tire cleaners and protectors might be worth testing on vinyl. The starbrite stuff is a marine product and there is a ton of info on cleaning boat vinyl that has been through way worse than our cars.

That Gojo hand cleaner is really good for cleaning and softening up rubber seals too. Windshield gaskets on my mother's old 65 Belvedere never looked so good. Leaves them looking new, instead of shiny like most protectants
Ah, yes, had forgotten to mention that. Thanks!

I decided to give the Gojo method a try and ended up using Gojo for first pass, then a magic eraser pad, then 303 to finish it off. Probably wouldn’t have used the magic eraser (or anything else abrasive) if my top was any color other than white but it worked pretty well in my situation. Here’s pics of test area, half done, and finished.

3E3EA760-3ABB-465D-9E86-CEA18F777900.jpeg

6E85FF83-CBB7-4E85-BD3A-33C1B25AE588.jpeg

7AD300D1-D45D-4827-84E1-4CB881AAF9D8.jpeg

Just watch the abrasives, if you use abrasives you are cutting the finish of the vinyl. You will end up with more dirt faster.
On the Mop and Glo, does it yellow? If not it might be a good sealer for your white top.

Back