Has anyone used an aftermarket sure-grip?

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing these: For Chrysler Mopar 8-3/4" Sure-Grip / Power-Lock Posi Unit - 30 Spline 8.75" | eBay and I've been wondering if anyone has bought and used one.

The used stuff I see is usually a complete unit with gears and carrier and that's great, but I have the gears I want and a carrier. Basically $800 to $1000 versus $285. Set up isn't that hard and I think I can do that myself. Honestly, the only issue I have is lifting the center section in and out... They got a lot heavier in the last 20 years...

Yea, probably not as strong as the OEM or some others... But I'm not drag racing or doing burn outs either. And yea, I'm sure it's made in China, but what isn't these days?

Any thoughts?

I've been seeing these: For Chrysler Mopar 8-3/4" Sure-Grip / Power-Lock Posi Unit - 30 Spline 8.75" | eBay and I've been wondering if anyone has bought and used one.

The used stuff I see is usually a complete unit with gears and carrier and that's great, but I have the gears I want and a carrier. Basically $800 to $1000 versus $285. Set up isn't that hard and I think I can do that myself. Honestly, the only issue I have is lifting the center section in and out... They got a lot heavier in the last 20 years...

Yea, probably not as strong as the OEM or some others... But I'm not drag racing or doing burn outs either. And yea, I'm sure it's made in China, but what isn't these days?

Any thoughts?
The problem with ebay is warranty. You might be stuck with it.
Dr. Diff has some great prices. A little more then ebay. I've heard he stands behind his stuff. I bought my 8.75 rebuild kit and green bearings from him. No problems with it.

Any thoughts?
What gears do you want to run in a C-body? You can get a complete used pumpkin for $400, maybe less. I paid $450 for a used 3.91 pumpkin 3-4 years ago. Expect less money for a 3.23 ready-to-go. I suggest looking local since shipping is crazy

sellers on ebay must adhere to their policy. 30 day returns. It's up to the supplier if they want to go out further than that. If you pull the trigger, run the hell out of the car the first few weeks. If it fails, return it. If not, you're probably good.

At that price, I would give it a try. I used a Chinese made 2-barrel carb on a 318 with very good results. I remember when parts made in Japan were considered no good.

Any thoughts?
price is good and not too much that it wouldnt be worth a try imo, I have an eaton trutrac in mine and works great but twice as much as that unit and a little different internally

Dr. Diff has some great prices. A little more then ebay. I've heard he stands behind his stuff. I bought my 8.75 rebuild kit and green bearings from him. No problems with it.

For about $100 more, I would go the Dr.Diff route
Every time I've looked at the Dr. Diff site for anything, it's either priced more than anyone else or it's not available.

While it might be a better piece, it's not available.

Dr Diff.jpg

What gears do you want to run in a C-body? You can get a complete used pumpkin for $400, maybe less. I paid $450 for a used 3.91 pumpkin 3-4 years ago. Expect less money for a 3.23 ready-to-go. I suggest looking local since shipping is crazy
I've looked locally and used prices are a lot higher than that.... and a lot of it is junk too... Best deal I found was $800...

I've looked locally and used prices are a lot higher than that.... and a lot of it is junk too... Best deal I found was $800...
Perhaps the prices might go down after this weekend (Mopar Nats)?

I can't believe there's insufficient demand for these for Dr diff to not ramp up production and run off x amount of units for the shelf. It will take someone important to get that done.

I was thinking about going with a sure grip but it's hard to come up with a good reason.
I don't need it for driving in snow. I don't race it. Maybe an occasional burnout but I have had success leaving two marks with light air shock adjustment.

I can't believe there's insufficient demand for these for Dr diff to not ramp up production and run off x amount of units for the shelf. It will take someone important to get that done.
I doubt very seriously if they actually make anything there.

From what I understand, Dr. Diff is a one man operation that he runs out of a body shop.

Don't be surprised... A lot of repop dealers are one man operations, often part time at that. Since I retired, I can't get the info on businesses like I used to... Like how many people work there, D&B rating, estimated yearly sales etc.. That info is often very telling...

Practically no one makes any product in-house... Some have some deals to get parts made, but a lot of them buy parts from the same suppliers every other dealer does.

I looked it up and I can buy 50 (minimum) of these sure grip units for $100 each if I was a dealer.

At least with eBay I get something I can use, or I don't pay.
The risk with this is you find out it won't install because of bad machining. If it doesn't run true, bad ring gear run out, can't fix that at home.

I pulled the trigger on it just now.

An eBay hint... Put what you want on your "watch" list. Often, the seller will send you a discount offer. In this case, it was $14 discount. It's about the price of a sandwich these days... But it's still a discount.

Back