Having trouble finding a replacement vacuum advance can

Blackrifle

Reaction score
1966 newport in a barn for 7 years. I got her started drove her home and started replacing and rebuilding things. Went thru the brakes, rebuilt the carb flushed out an dpressure tested radiator.
Installed new Water pump plugs wires cap and rotor. She ran but barely. started to look into checking the timing, had a buddy help me since I dont know what Im doing. Vacuum canister isnt holding vacuum so I tried to get a replacement. Part number is 3755505. Both parts that showed up don't match up with mine. Distributor has pertronix in it
Any and all help is appreciated. Im even considering ripping it all out and just swapping to a more reliable system.

You didn't say what engine you have, so here's two, one for small blocks and one for big blocks.

Mancini Racing Distributor Vacuum Advance Canister
Mancini Racing Distributor Vacuum Advance Canister

Other options are you send it off to @halifaxhops for a rebuild or convert it to an electronic igntion. My preference for an electronic ignition would be to buy a rebuilt genuine Mopar electronic distributor, again Halifaxhops would be a great source. Then add one of the Mopar clone ECU (buy one for a spare) and a new coil. I do not suggest buying one of those eBay or Mancini etc. kits that are all offshore sourced parts, including the distributor. You can't get away from the ECU being Chinese built, but at least you can get a much better distributor and just carry a spare ECU.

Which arm? Can be either straight or curved. Straight kind of dried up except repops. Also how many degress to keep the curve right?

vac adv.jpg

I need the straight arm one.
I have no clue as to how many degrees.
I’m new to all this

1966 newport in a barn for 7 years. I got her started drove her home and started replacing and rebuilding things. Went thru the brakes, rebuilt the carb flushed out an dpressure tested radiator.
Installed new Water pump plugs wires cap and rotor. She ran but barely. started to look into checking the timing, had a buddy help me since I dont know what Im doing. Vacuum canister isnt holding vacuum so I tried to get a replacement. Part number is 3755505. Both parts that showed up don't match up with mine. Distributor has pertronix in it
Any and all help is appreciated. Im even considering ripping it all out and just swapping to a more reliable system.
I would put Pertronix on all of my cars.

I seriously like the Petronixs 1, Never a issue with them. But points are great also, just alot of people are scared of working on them for some reason. They will last 10K miles if you get good ones not the new crap at the store.

x2 on the Pertronix, I have had no issues with the few I've installed. On my street/strip cars I've used the later model Mopar mag pickup distributors to trigger an MSD 6AL box, and that combo works great as well.

I have a failed unit and have been considering trying to put a new diaphragm in the shell. Someday, the supply of these is going to run out, so might as well figure it out now..... Anyway, getting them apart is a somewhat brutal process--in this case, I used a pair of needle-nose vice-grips and worked slowly and carefully to only pry the outer lip of the distributor-side-housing out enough to pull the the two metal pieces apart and NOT!! damage the flat sections that hold the diaphragm edges between them. The diaphragm on this one measures .020" thick, and appears to be made of a rubber-covered fabric (linen?). I'm trying to figure out where I can get this cloth.
As an alternative, I noticed the Standard Motor VC-187 is very close to mine, with the major difference being the arm. If I can't source the rubbberized cloth, then I intend to open the VC-187 and swap arms.

20230624_154815.jpg

20230624_154822.jpg

20230722_140855.jpg

20230722_141051.jpg

I should have them rebuilt. Let me check the number important or just the 7.5? PM me They dried up around 2-3 years ago with the straight arm for points.

Last edited:
Back